Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #72064 03/20/10 03:42 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I was just out at B&N and the used bookstore with my kids and B&N had this book on display. I picked it up & leafed through it quickly and am curious if any of you have read it or have any opinions.

His premise, based upon my quick skimming, seems to be that intelligence is not innate. It is the nurture vs. nature with him coming out on the side of nurture. He has a whole chapter on twin studies and how they don't prove that intelligence is heritable & how they've been misinterpreted. Now, I have to admit it is easier to come down on the side of intelligence being innate when you are not average, but I'm curious about others' take on his book.

D
    D
    I listened to his interviews on "The Takeaway" (http://www.thetakeaway.org/2010/mar/08/genius-all-us/) and read quite a bit at his blog:
    http://geniusblog.davidshenk.com/2010/03/welcome-to-genius.html

He seems to go down the popular road of "10 zillion hours of practice will make you good at anything." I know I'm greatly over-simplifying, but I don't see how this notion applies to a PG kid "spontaneously" learning to read at age 3... or any of the other countless examples we see with young prodigies.

I'm sorry, but I could practice drawing for 10,000 whatevers and, at best, would maybe improve my stick-figure rendering only slightly.

One of the comments (at one of the above sites) raised an interesting question: "If parents are given credit for developing the genius, are they also assigned credit (blame?) for kids on the other end of the spectrum?" (Loosely paraphrased.)

My two cents, happily contributed.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations