Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by kcab
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Very little of the above is interpretable due to the huge scatter. For example, even within VCI, she has a 7 point spread.
    At what point is VCI uninterpretable? I'm asking for my own edification here, since DS7 has a 10 pt spread in that set of subtests (15, 17, 7). I've been feeling like that made VCI not very useful or informative for us but would like to know if there is an official point at which it shouldn't be used.
    Our oldest dd had an 11 point spread in the PRI index (8-19+). I can't recall the third # in that index, but it was in the upper teens. We weren't told that there was a point at which you couldn't calculate the index score due to scatter although we were told that there was a point at which you shouldn't calculate the FSIQ score due to subtest scatter (which she also met). I would, of course, be less confident in the subtest score itself as an accurate indicator of the child's abilities with a large spread like that, though.

eta: our dd does not have a LD, but she is either typically sensory overresponsive due to being gifted or has SPD depending on whose dx you take. She hasn't been retested since age 7, when she got these wildly variable scores, but I think that anxiety may have played somewhat into the large spread. It seems that some psychs consider large spreads in and of themselves to potentially indicate LDs and others do not. We were assured by a psych that dd#2 didn't have a LD despite wild variations within indices on IQ tests b/c her achievement scores weren't below the predicted values based upon the IQ scores. It's confusing, isn't it!?

Last edited by Cricket2; 03/11/10 06:57 AM.
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Yes, Cricket2, it IS confusing!! I spoke to psychologist today because of my confusion. I think some of it was my own misinterpretation of what he was telling me. Hopefully when i get his report and we talk more.

I am trying to decide if we should do the achievement testing or not. She would be doing the WJ-III

K
    K
    You indicated that the psychologist suggested there is an auditory processing issue (probably because of the lower number in digit span) and that you didn't know how to follow up. I heard Linda Silverman speak earlier this month. My notes indicate she refers people to the Able Kids Foundation In Fort Collins, CO for Central Auditory Processing disorders. http://www.ablekidsfoundation.org/
    You may want to check their website to get more information on CAPD and see if it seems to fit your kid.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    I got word today that they will accept DD6's 132 GAI smile That's a relief. So, that gives us more options. DS8 applied to the Davidson Academy and was invited out for the next phase. So we have that option if he is accepted (he is pretty young, i don't know if he is ready for DA yet) and this other gifted school that would be a compromise for DS8 but DD6 could also attend. We would not consider this other school if both children couldn't attend.

I am feeling better about next year although it looks like we are moving far away in one direction or the other verrrry soon!!

I was so shocked by her scored and low FSIQ. I am happy that the psychologist gave plenty of support for her GAI being a better measure of her intelligence and I am thrilled that the school board took this into consideration and accepted it smile Yay all around!!

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Excellent news!!! Do you have any other ideas for Dd6?

A
    A
    I want to second that--Congratulations!

I'd also like to add that you should not be so disappointed by her Full Scale IQ. While this score underestimates her actual ability, it is not low by any means--it's at the 91%ile. So she is in the top 9% of the population overall (and much higher in specific areas!). Scores between 120 and 129 are considered Superior.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    thanks smile I wasn't disappointed in the score in general, i was surprised because it was sooo much lower than her WPPSI III (FSIQ 130) and i just expected it to be about the same. I was concerned about her acceptance into a program if we move. While 120-129 may be Superior most of the programs have a bottom of 130. She is already in a gifted school and working above grade level, doing beautifully.

A
    OP Offline
    A
    well, it's a concern. If we end up in Reno I read the schools near the DA are good and have some gifted programs. It may be less than she is used to. I think with enrichment and the right school she would be ok socially. Maybe a grade skip since she is already working 1+ years ahead of grade level? She is not super academically inclined but i don't want her to get bored either. She does her work and gets good grades but she'd rather be drawing/making stuff. (hee hee just like mom!)

Originally Posted by JoAnna
    well, it's a concern. If we end up in Reno I read the schools near the DA are good and have some gifted programs. It may be less than she is used to. I think with enrichment and the right school she would be ok socially. Maybe a grade skip since she is already working 1+ years ahead of grade level?

One thing that I notice about a single grade skip and the Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual, that if you play with the numbers, a cooperative, mature, Moderately Gifted - oh, let's call that optimally gifted, ok? - is the perfect candidate for a full grade skip. Especially in this case with working +1 grade academically from her previous school. I find it very ironic that in some schools the only kids who are offered a single gradeskip, are PG - ones for whom a single skip is almost garenteed not to be enough in an of itself!

When Maricia Gross gathered her data, she grouped the PG kids who were single gradeskipped with the kids who got no accomidation at all, and she calls them 'token gradeskips!' That sure made me think.

love and more love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    wow, that's worrisome frown I'm having a VERY hard time deciding what to do right now and I am getting very conflicting information. Also, all the deadlines for the schools overlap. I am starting to crack up!

thanks for all the love wink

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent