Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #71931 03/19/10 10:54 AM
    OP Offline
    Hi,

My dd has asked for a microscope for her birthday and I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions on a good mid price microscope?

C
    C
    First you need to decide whether you want a compound microscope (only useful for viewing slides) or a stereo microscope (can view whole objects). The received wisdom is that a stereo is much more useful for beginners, and I agree: we have both, but get much more use out of the stereo. (It doesn't have such high magnification, but you can use it for viewing slides too, so it is more versatile, and in practice, the "let's look at it under the microscope!" moments happen with whole objects.

Then you need a reasonable quality instrument without spending more than you want... General advice is to avoid toys and look at things marketed to schools. A good quality supplier is useful - in the UK, Brunel Microscopes, http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/
    is the obvious one. There's a yahoo group whose name I forget but it was pretty obvious, whose members were useful, but it's clear there are pseudo-religious wars to step into the middle of, e.g. some people feel it's always better to buy a second-hand microscope rather than a new one at the same price, but that requires expertise that many of us don't have... My first microscope came from ebay and has been fine, but that can be dangerous. What you want is an expert, which I am not...

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    OP Offline
    Thank you for all this great info. I think we will get the stereo microscope. There is a lot of choices at Brunel Microscopes, and I am sure I will find just the right one for my dd.

thanks again

S
    S
    Our daughter got this one for her birthday earlier this month...
    http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-44104-Advanced-Biological-Microscope/dp/B000Q768K8

It is well lit, easy to focus, and she has been looking at everything she can get her hands on.

Last edited by supercrunch; 03/19/10 04:38 PM.
    A
    A
    this is the one my folks bought for DS when he was 4. It is rugged and works well. Easy to focus, top or bottom lit, cool slide samples included, tilts so little people can get a good look without climbing. It also stood up to his younger sister who started dragging it around the house at age 2 lol DS is almost 9 now and you'd never know the abuse this took over the years!! Both children have enjoyed using it over the years.

http://store.discovery.com/detail.php?p=86171&ecid=AFF-7973256
    sold out here but good pix and reviews.

C
    C
    We just bought this one for school this year and it's actually quite good. I was pleasantly surprised actually because it's fairly inexpensive. The only thing I don't like is that it has a pointer that you can't remove.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Microscope+40%2C100%2C400X+%28Model+3000FF%29/010034/1269823041-904626

They do have other models that are more expensive, but both my almost 6 and almost 11 year old kiddos really like this one. It's nice and heavy, easy to use, and the lighting source is great. It also has a diaphragm to allow more/less light aside from the lamp source. The magnification is 10x, 40x, and 400x, and uses an LED light source with a plug in chord.

R
    R
    Sorry for the delay - we bought little'un this one for Christmas - when it was on special.
    http://www.apexmicroscopes.co.uk/apex%20practioner.html

They have a large range, and were very helpful on the phone.

Don't forget to buy some prepared slides - an absolute must

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM