Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21
    Mama22Gs #71874 03/18/10 06:36 PM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Mama22Gs
    Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    I suspect he is playing with the answers deliberately. Over the last few months he has taken to calculating the minimum grade he needs on a test to carry an A in class, and then hits it.

OHG, your comment made me laugh as I remembered something one of my economics professors said. He told us in order to use our resources (e.g., time, energy) efficiently, we should only be working hard enough to get the lowest possible scores that would result in an A. He said since an A is an A on a transcript, and there are no A pluses, why waste your time working harder for the higher scores? (My answer was that we should be there to learn as much as we could, and not just to get grades.)

Maybe your GS is destined to be an economist! wink

LOL - sending sympathy OH! crazy These are the exact kind of games I anticipate my DS to play. He sped through the SCAT at record speed and refused to use his scrap paper. Asynchronous for sure! Sorry you didn't get a "real" number. Hope they're "good enough" to use them for your purposes anyway.

Mama22Gs #71876 03/18/10 07:22 PM
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Mama22Gs
    OHG, your comment made me laugh as I remembered something one of my economics professors said. He told us in order to use our resources (e.g., time, energy) efficiently, we should only be working hard enough to get the lowest possible scores that would result in an A. He said since an A is an A on a transcript, and there are no A pluses, why waste your time working harder for the higher scores? (My answer was that we should be there to learn as much as we could, and not just to get grades.)

Maybe your GS is destined to be an economist! wink

I did that a lot, mostly in high school. I also almost always calculated those in college as well (how many correct answers do I need to get X grade). Rarely did I the absolute minimum, but I always knew and had fun calculating.

Mam #71878 03/18/10 08:13 PM
    I used this to my advantage when I was grading final papers. I required that students give me a stamped envelope if they wanted comments back. (Which they ALL should have! But rarely half the class did.)

Then I'd figure the lowest score a student would have to get to raise the semester grade and the highest score a student could get to lower the semester grade. Surprisingly often it was in the "A+ or D-" range.

I'd skim the paper, checking for the major things: thesis, intro, conclusion, etc. If those were present, it wasn't a D-. If they weren't (or were anything less than amazing), it wasn't an A+. If I hadn't received an envelope for the paper, my grading of that work was done! It took seconds!

Don't work hard, work smart. wink

Kriston
    Kriston #71894 03/19/10 07:20 AM
    O
    O
    This is our first explore experience.

In "Developing Math Talent" it states if EXPLORE score is above 50% to do testing to see what a child knows and placement. I was
    wondering if anyone is doingor done this? Where? How? $?

I was also wondering wouldn't that apply to all subjects above 50%?

Kriston #71895 03/19/10 07:21 AM
    G
    G
    WOW!!!! My mailman knew I was waiting for this so he saw it and made a special trip at the beginning of his delivery.
    All I can say is WOW!!!!
    Composite 22
    English 25
    Math 17
    Reading 25
    Science 21

Do you think this will help with a grade skip?? I am so excited. I knew the math would be lower but 2 25's??? WOW!!!

Dottie #71898 03/19/10 07:33 AM
    G
    G
    Yes, both subtests were 12's!!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Gatorgirl
    WOW!!!! My mailman knew I was waiting for this so he saw it and made a special trip at the beginning of his delivery.
    All I can say is WOW!!!!
    Composite 22
    English 25
    Math 17
    Reading 25
    Science 21

Do you think this will help with a grade skip?? I am so excited. I knew the math would be lower but 2 25's??? WOW!!!
    Wow is right! Remind me, what grade is she currently in?

I just may not tell you all how dd#2 did on the Explore when we get the results b/c I don't imagine that it is anywhere near as well as those scores that you all are posting! (She was a Feb tester, so we're still waiting.)

Cricket2 #71904 03/19/10 08:26 AM
    G
    G
    She is in 5th grade. Hoping to skip 6th next year esp. since she scored in th 98% for 8th graders.

G
    G
    Oh, but I am kind of bummed. Duke TIP only gives awards if you score in the 99% for composite and she is only wink 98%.

C
    C
    That sounds quite reasonable. Dd#1 took the Explore in 4th & did very well on science & english, okay on reading, and not too well on math. She was really thrown for a loop by it being hard & left the reading test twice to go to the bathroom & cry, so I don't suspect that it was her best showing.

None the less, she didn't do nearly as well as your dd and she did skip 5th quite successfully. She was still advanced on all of the grade level tests and in the 99th percentile on the SRI lexile for 6th grade post-skip. Overall, I'd say that she is still a very strong student post-skip. It sounds like your dd would be a great student still post-skip.

Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM