Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 420 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Has anyone had their dc in programs/enrichment etc. over the summer to meet their educ. needs that don't get met over the school year?

What happens when they return to school in the fall? Does it seem worse than if they hadn't done it?

Thanks

This is the first summer we are trying it because DS7 basically demanded math and science camps ONLY! Last year, I signed him up for arts and crafts camp, games camp, ymca day camp...what a disaster! So I don't know about worse with or without, but last summer itself was not fun! Nan

C
    cym Offline
    C
    I believe the summer institutes "sustain" my kids through the drudgery of the school year. Some of you are lucky to have great programs available locally that are inexpensive, but we don't. It has been very worthwhile for my kids. Even my non-social oldest DS keeps in touch with friends he's met from all over the world at these institutes. His long-distance friends inspire him when they get into Princeton or Yale, as opposed to local kids who don't have such high aspirations. He also has continued to research the topics of his institutes online, in magazines, books--it didn't stop with the summer; the classes helped pique his interest further.

Originally Posted by EastnWest
    Has anyone had their dc in programs/enrichment etc. over the summer to meet their educ. needs that don't get met over the school year?

What happens when they return to school in the fall? Does it seem worse than if they hadn't done it?

Thanks

We've been doing it off and on since 3rd grade. He comes home feeling like less of an alien. I try to balance whatever is going on during the school year - some year he's had tons of academic challenge, some years not so much.

Last summer was CTY camp, and he L.O.V.E.D it. There is a bittersweet edge, but as Shakespeare said:

It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

BTW - have you seen this?
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/English_proverbs#I

yum

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Any you know, it's not like my son has to wait the whole year to get back to his 'gifted side' - there are several events spread over the year that we now regularly attend.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    O
    O
    Last summer DS9 did a online writing course thru northwestern GLL and it was a good experience. My son was very proud he did this.

This year I'm thinking of having him take their SCRATCH class because he has been interested but could use a class to really get ideas going and just have fun learning.

I just want him to do somethings he enjoys to contrast this past year. I hope this will renew is interest in learning new things.

Last edited by onthegomom; 03/18/10 06:24 PM.
    This is the last summer before middle school for my dd9. I think she will take it easy and do a lot of fun/non academic camps this summer. All in all, she has had a very challenging, fun year, both at school and with her extracurricular activities.

She has worked very hard on her FLL robotics team this year and that will probably continue thru summer. Her team was invited to the Open Internation Championship in Taiwan to be held in May, so they are not done yet. She has the best coach ever!

She is also learning Latin and is finally semi-challenged in math.

I guess we don't feel the need for academic camps this year. At most, she might do a AoPS class on line.

So, this year she is signed up for surfing, sailing and diving camps. She loves the water, so she will absolutely have a blast.

Last year she did both CTY and SIG and although she loved them both, summer went by too fast. This year is going to be beach, beach, beach. We both need it!!

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Thanks very much for all of the responses!

I wasn't necessarily thinking something like a summer institute. My ds is mg (I think) and still young.

One year we spent a summer visiting relatives and he went to a camp done by a children's museum. It was way better for him than the summer spent at the local park and rec. Since we have moved there are a whole new set of options available. I am wondering if the new park and rec will be "interesting enough".(very affordable for his parents though.)

Kindergarten has been one boring worksheet after another. I would hate to see him languish through the summer only to be faced with an uninteresting year in 1st grade.

cym - very cool that your son got inspired.
    Dottie- your "cheap" options sound great.
    Nanros- yeah, no fun when the kiddos are miserable

gratified3- do you think your kids are happy with "plain camps" because the rest of the year they are challenged/getting their needs met?

I was thinking about Grinity's goldilocks syndrome (GS) and thinking that an engaging program over the summer could help keep GS from taking root. Otherwise I am afraid my ds' ZoPD will keep shrinking.

Well,

thanks again all for the feedback!

G3: No kidding!!! I thought my DS would LOVE the change of doing outdoorsy-active-recess-all-day camp! I think that is the 2e in him though...structure structure structure; hence: MATH! Nan

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Even my very athletic DS13 ignores my suggestions of adventure camps (kayaking or hiking or sailing or scuba). He just wants a summer institute--I certainly have fun looking at all the possibilities...oh, to be a kid again!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years