Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 257 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #71735 03/17/10 07:00 PM
    mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I know many of you have read the Mysterious Benedict Society books, but I wanted to put this out there for those of you who haven't heard of them yet.

A few months ago I started reading the MBS to my kids (DS11, DD8, DS6) at bedtime, and now we're in the middle of the second book. We're all really enjoying it and can't wait to read it every night. We all really enjoy trying to notice all the little clues throughout the book and trying to figure out what's going to happen next, so it's really interactive reading. What I find particularly great, though, is how it allows us to talk about the particular issues that can come up when you are gifted. Tonight we talked about feeling like you have to hide your abilities, like Constance does. The other night we talked about how important it is to be proud of your abilities but not to brag about it like Sticky has started doing on occasion. We often talk about how every person has different strengths and abilities and how that's a really good thing, like all four kids each have different ways of thinking about things and that they all have to contribute their strengths to get things done. And the list goes on an on.

Anyway, I just wanted to recommend the books to anyone who hasn't read them yet!

She thought she could, so she did.
    S
    S
    yes, terrific gifted kid book. Both of my kids are reading this series in their classroom (GT School) and love it!

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm always looking for new books for my son! Nan smile

My son has read the first one but I want to read it so we can discuss it. I also have the 2nd one.

S
    S
    I know this thread was from forever ago...but I bought the first and second book in this series and was planning to give it to my DS who is turning 6 on his birthday coming up. I guess I am not sure if 6 is too young. He reads all sorts of stuff, currently hugo Cabret for the second time. He is a PG kid and I think some of the themes would be neat for him. Plus he LOVES puzzles and all that stuff. Anyone else have kids that young who have read it and enjoyed them?

C
    C
    I don't think 6 would necessarily be too young. My daughter read the first one at school at 7. DD reread it when our family listened to an audio book version during a recent roadtrip. I really enjoyed it - and the audio version we listened to was excellent.

I am tempted to make a "Pround Member of the Mysterious Benedict Society" teeshirt for dd on CafePress - in Braille of course!

Warning: sleep deprived
    N
    N
    We read the first one pretty recently--I can't remember if DS7 got it for his birthday in the fall or for Christmas. He liked it, and we got the second one from the library but he was tired of them by then and we didn't finish it. I'll try him on it sometime later--but I wouldn't say at all that 7 or even 6 is too young.

J
    J
    Some 6 year olds may find some of the bad men that take people away to be rather scary, and take issue with the lying and moral issues.

M
    M
    Jesse
    I agree with you, my DS now 10 would have been scared at some of the situations. In fact... even the girl cheating in the first book upset him. He is reading the first one now...He loves it but I don't think he would have at a younger age. Not because he could not read and comprehend it...but because his emotional maturity. He doesn't like "horror" or scary.

The series comes highly recommended.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM