Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 328 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #71670 03/17/10 06:35 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Just curious as to how they are calcualted?
    Example: My daughter got a Tscore of 82 on the RIAS "Verbal
    Reasoning" subtest.

Is there a way to calculate how many problems she got right or wrong from the Tscore?
    here http://jpa.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/25/4/402.pdf it says that there are a total of 48 items on that subtest.

Would a "perfect" score = 100 tscore?

Floridama #71671 03/17/10 06:38 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    I mostly curious to see how close she was to the ceiling on some of her subtest?

Floridama #71673 03/17/10 08:02 AM
    B
    B
    Thanks for the link Floridama - my son took the RIAS and scored a 145- but we weren't given a broken down Tscore other than a break down of the 4 scores together in both Verbal and Nonverbal (Guess what/Verbal Reasoning and Odd-Item Out/What's Missing) - we chose the RIAS because of my son's Dyspraxia (issues with fine motor skills such as block building).

We had taken the SBV a year prior but the scores were all over the place...scoring in the 99.9% on some parts and then low, low, low on others and the psych said it didn't even come close to showing a true pic of our son...so she suggested the RIAS.

LOVE THE quote from the link you sent...

"one of the author's goals of the RIAS was to reduce or eliminate dependence on motor coordination
    and visual motor speed in the measurement of intelligence"...THANKS GOD!!!

The only downside is that the RIAS is not the "known" used test for a lot of places (such as DYS) and I have banged my head on the wall finding any info about it. We wish that more people accepted this test.

MENSA took his RIAS scores but DYS does not :-( So we are not able to apply because I aleady know that DS7 will not do very well on the SBV and worse on the Weschler because of all the motor skills...we really, really want to apply but we don't really have the money to throw away on another assessment, expecially when we know there is a huge chance that it won't give us a very good picture....blah!

I am interested to see if anyone else responds?

Jenn C

Belle #71675 03/17/10 08:13 AM
    G
    G
    I can't help there but Belle~ my dd was given the RIAS in 2nd grade with a FSIQ 140. Retested 6 months ago with the WISC, with scores all over the place due to her slow processing. It definately lowered her FSIQ but her GAI correlated exactly with her previous RIAS. Plus her verbal met the DYS criteria. Haven't applied yet though, waiting for Explore test results. Hopefully today.

Gatorgirl #71677 03/17/10 08:45 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Haven't applied yet though, waiting for Explore test results. Hopefully today.
    I hope for you too!

We can't take the Explore till 5th grade, seems so far away.

I am considering the SCAT. Still not sure if it's worth the $ since DYS won't consider it either.

Which is why I was looking back at her RIAS. If she is close to the ceiling on some of the subtests, then I might be able to talk myself into forking out the $ for the SCAT. smile

Dottie #71767 03/18/10 05:56 AM
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    Thanks Dottie!

My Dh and decided last night that we are going to go ahead and do the SCAT, through JH search. It is the closest and most reasonably priced test.

Hopefully it will give us a picture of her math reasoning skills, which is the one area in which she has never been tested, other than the SAT10.

If her scores are really good we may just portfolio DYS and send in our "illeagal" tests.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent