Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    O
    ohiomom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    O
    Hi, We have a 7 year old who is highly gifted in reading and math. We are currently living in Ohio and will moving to northern Virginia in this summer. We've been searching and need to apply to new school in that region in next couple of weeks. So far, we are interested in five schools: Nysmith, Edlin, Flint Hill, Westminster, and Green Hedges. Does anybody have any experience with GT students in these schools? Are there any other schools that are better for GT students than these? I appreciate any information!

Hi Ohiomom,
    Welcome!
    I hope someone here has experience with these schools.

The interesting thing about school for the gifted is that two kids who are equally gifted can have completely different experiences at the same school.

I've found that the some key things that makes a school work for my family are:

1) The school understands LOG, level of Giftedness.
    2) The school understands, and has options for, kids with 'spikey profiles' that is a wide variation between their strengths and weaknesses, even if the weakness are still above average.
    3) Flexibility

best wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    A
    A
    Hi,
    I live in Northern VA and am starting to think about school options for our 3-year-old. I was wondering which school you chose and if you are happy with it.
    Thanks!
    Ana

B
    B
    I used to live in NoVA and researched it a little. The school's are EXTREMELY expensive. I believe Flint Hill is $20K a year. Nysmith was over $15K/year as well. I was sort of put off by Nysmith when I called to inquire a couple years ago. I felt like it was situated more towards "rich" people.

My daughter went to Immanuel Christian School in Springfield for a short time. She was in kindergarten there for only a few months before we moved. Although it was a short time, it was phenomenal. The kindergarten classes were very small and had a full time teacher and aid in each classroom. The academics are awesome. Their communication was top-notch. The kids are respectful and friendly.

Also remember Fairfax county is probably the best public school system in the country. However, sometimes it's almost to a fault - extremely competitive and stressful for some kids. Finally, as the years go on, there is the Thomas Jefferson High School. It's a public high school for GT students.

Ana, not sure where you live, but we sent our DD to the Jerusalem Baptist Church Mother's Day out program (in Fairfax Station) for three years, from age 2 - 4. Our DD thrived there. It's not acredited or even an official "preschool," however, because of that, they can actually tailor the curriculum to the child's needs without having to stick to strict standards. My DD's PreK class at age 4 only had 6 children in it. It was AWESOME!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent