Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Eleanor05 #72242 03/22/10 06:55 PM
    Originally Posted by Eleanor05
    Not to raise any alarms, but in my husband's family there is a history of epilepsy that manifests itself with Absence Seizures, pronounced like the French "ab-saunts". A child will zone out for 2 to 30 seconds up to 200 times per day. It is difficult to get them out of it. The epilepsy seems to go away in the late teen years thus often goes undiagnosed. Google epilepsy and you will find some great websites and you can check symptoms, but it might be worth mentioning to your pediatrician. My husband's family also has some incredibly smart people.

That said, both our boys space out and we had them checked by a neurologist at the urging of our pediatrician and it confirmed there was no epilepsy, they just ignore us! Good luck.

Interesting; one of my sisters children has been diagnosed with this form of epilepsy - not a seizure so much as an 'absence', I can't recall what she called it. I never thought about ds in this way, and probably that is not his issue, because you can call him back to 'the present' pretty easily, but he zones A LOT. Guess I am just boring, lol! wink

blob #72255 03/22/10 11:29 PM
    V
    V
    Hi Blog,there are some online test you can do and it will give you a good idea if you are heading the right direction. I sat on this for three years wondering why he was giving me conflicting signals. Now I know, he is just a borderline ADD, hopeful coffee will do the trick and we don't have to go to meds. I read that Brazil have the lowest rate of ADD/ADHD, because everybody drinks coffee. Ha...

GeoMamma #72257 03/23/10 03:24 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by GeoMamma
    Originally Posted by vivace
    Guess what, he has ADD. A cup of coffee in the morning made it all better.
    I've never heard of that?
    Not necessarily for everyone, but helped with my niece (now 14) & has kept her off drugs for two+ years.
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=coffee+adhd+kids

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Dandy #72525 03/26/10 05:25 AM
    B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi Guys,

I haven't checked in for awhile because I've had some fires to fight. The last one week has been rough frown.

I'm expanding on the post that I wrote hurriedly last week - DS had a math achievement test and didn't do well in it. The tester said he zoned out and was playing with the eraser, with anything really. I was stunned because he's such a mathy kid and loves algebra. What's true is that we don't drill, but his concepts are very strong, and so is his logic, unless I'm totally deluded. confused He has very good recall for multiplication tables.

Because of the feedback ("he doesn't know what area means"), I signed him up yesterday for Aleks at Level 3 (lowest level possible) to see if he needed help. Um, surprise! He did pretty well on the computer evaluation, considering that he probably had a lot of errors just trying to man the keyboard. I just looked through Level 4 - he should breeze through that too, but at least there'll be something there for him to learn. What is going on?? DS refuses to talk about the test, saying that the tester was impatient. But this is a definite signal that his attention issues are worse than I realized.

There have been suggestions when he was younger that he has CAPD. He has an extreme aversion to loud, sudden sounds and used to cry at the nursery when they sang the goodbye song. He doesn't like music. His teacher recently told me that at a recent school celebration, he just froze up and was completely zoned out because of the huge amount of sounds around him. To me, he seems to have a really loud "internal" voice, because he ignores me when I try to teach him anything (I've always thought that he was a good learner but a difficult student). He seems to not hear me when he's engrossed and has to work things through by himself to learn. But because it's always panned out, I never gave a second thought to it. Happens too, when he's building Lego or reading when I call him for dinner. He also seems to have a very short memory for instructions, sometimes. I'm wondering if the achievement test was partly read out to him by the tester, because in total silence in front of the computer yesterday, it was fine.

The big stumbling block to the CAPD self-diagnosis is that he spoke early (at 6 mths) and has great verbal abilities. Other than that, the little that I have frantically speed read from yesterday seems to fit. I made an appointment with an audiologist for next week. Aside from this, does anyone have any theories as to what is going on?

I brought him to a cognitive screen earlier this week for ADD/ADHD but don't have the results yet. What's positive is that he's recovering from his disappointment, particularly after yesterday's session with Aleks when he felt "plugged in".

blob #72587 03/26/10 04:08 PM
    I don't know anything about CAPD, but I always found it INCREDIBLY difficult to do math if someone was watching me. I still do. If the tester was intimidating (or seemed intimidating) he may not have been able to perform. Was it a one-on-one testing environment? Because that sounds incredible distressing to me! Not meaning that anyone else would feel that way, but I certainly would.

vivace #72611 03/27/10 04:46 AM
    B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi Vivace, tks so much for this. I googled and found the following:

http://newideas.net/adhd-online-test-screening

It's interesting, but I still get led back to the inattention bit, ie, I don't know why he's inattentive.

I read that coffee below a certain age can lead to poor height growth, and DS is a bit vertically challenged (DH and I were late developers). I'll look into this though.

GeoMamma #72612 03/27/10 04:47 AM
    B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    So strange. Last year, he had the same tester and did brilliantly. Well, I have a whole list of appointments over the next two weeks to check things out. Just hope I have some answers so that help can begin.

blob #72719 03/28/10 02:10 PM
    V
    V
    Blob,
    ADd/ADHD can be inherited,difficulties during brith, lack of oxygen, childhood illness, frequent ear infection and resulted in auditory problems, not so much as to not being able to hear, but rather hearing everything, and not knowing what to do with all the information. ADD/ADHD children are almost all right brain/visual spacial children, but not all right brain children are ADD/ADHD. right brain children do not learn sequentially, so that may cause a bit learning issues. Look for the book written by Linda Silverman called "Upside down Brilliance", you might find that it answers a lot of you questions. Good luck.

vivace #72916 03/30/10 06:25 PM
    B
    blob Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Tks Vivace.

I tried to buy Linda Silverman's book online before but it's out of print. Will make my way to the library for this. Tks for the rec!

The preliminary diagnosis after the ADD/ADHD screen is that he does have auditory attention issues. So we're off to the audiologist. Taking stock though, I'm so grateful that he's such a happy, interested kid, notwitshtanding test scores.

My problem is now with the Gifted Board (gosh, they all take turns!) I just wrote about in the other thread, and you can find the post here:

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....s/72914/Re_School_Meeting.html#Post72914

Anyway, we'll take it slowly, enjoy what we can, and see how things go.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM