My son is 7yo and is PG. He's a terrific self learner, although it's very hard to teach him. He has this issue that I'm unsure if it's a disability or part of his PGness. You see, when things get monotonous, he spaces out, like he stares into space with a blank look and a half smile on his face. It's hard to get him to snap out of it!

He's done this for writing (he has handwriting issues), for easy or drill-ish math (say long multiplication that he can't do in his head - so we don't do a lot around here), and now I've noticed that he'll zone through class instructions so that he doesn't know what to do for homework or for tests.

It hasn't been much of an issue when we were homeschooling - I just avoid, skip, and hope that developmental milestones will kick in. Now that he's in school, the requirements are less flexible. He really has no problem staying with the task if they're complicated enough - he's actually dogged when it comes to trying to understand algebra problems. But life not all of school is complicated and hard. I've told him to try his best - he will be grade accelerated soon and tested for subject acceleration after that, but I wonder if this will be an issue going forward. Can he help himself here? What can I do to help stop the spacing out? Is this a learning disability?

TIA