Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    C
    C
    I just wanted to add to your difficulties :-) by playing devil's advocate and pointing out that it's not very surprising if, on a GT board, you find a preponderance of people suggesting you give highest priority to your son's GT needs! I rather hope you're also posting about this dilemma on a good ASD support board, assuming there is such a thing?

Concretely, if you do decide to spurn Cozy Middle AS and wait in the hope of a G&T middle place, I'd suggest writing a very nice letter to the director of the AS programme there mentioning all the things you were impressed by, and saying that it was a really difficult decision which you've agnonized over, but that (really carefully word this bit!) in the end you felt that G&T middle would be in a better position to meet your son's other special needs, viz. giftedness. Couldn't do any harm, and might possibly help you if you were later trying to to get him in there.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Originally Posted by bk1
    Now my dh has just arrived home. When I told him about maybe picking G&T, he said, "but will he be lonely and not have any friends there?" Part of the appeal of Cozy Middle is that it would have the built-in friends -- a teacher support and cadre of five AS kids in his class and 10-15 AS kids in the grade.

It sounds like you have the idea that AS kids are happiest when there are other AS kids around. Or that teachers can do much to help kids enjoy each other. I don't know if this is true or false, but I'll bet others here have some experience with this. I do know that a teacher can encourage kids to be mean to a child, but I'm must less optimistic that a good teacher or group of good teachers can be effective in promoting children getting along with each other.

Any BTDTs here?

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by bk1
    HOWEVER, my son has Asperger’s. It is mild in terms of social skills, but it is starting to affect his social life more.

Only you can decide what is best for your child. smile

Taking your above statement and the diagnosis at 11, my concern would be placing the whole emphasis of his school life on this one area without account for his giftedness. It would be like making the kid who doesn't like and stuggles with math, do math all day long.

I would discuss what could be done at the GT school with IEP accomodations.

It can't hurt to write a letter to the Cozy school, just in case.

Last edited by melmichigan; 03/13/10 10:53 AM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    I just wanted to add to your difficulties :-) by playing devil's advocate and pointing out that it's not very surprising if, on a GT board, you find a preponderance of people suggesting you give highest priority to your son's GT needs! I rather hope you're also posting about this dilemma on a good ASD support board, assuming there is such a thing?

Excellent point!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by bk1
    His only work with counselor is on perfectionism. He is playing games with a younger kid and learning it is not the end of the world if he loses. Does your DD's social worker have training on AS? And what kind of activities do they do?

How is the planner written in?

We are making a request for evaluation for use of keyboarding.

My DD does more game playing, and working with another student on social skills with the social worker. The speech therapist works with the pragmatics, so they work on vague statements, idioms, rules of conversation, inference meaning, etc. They also use a book of social skills. Usually the speech therapist will work on something and then they will practice it with the social worker and another student.

The planner was written in that she would have a daily planner of assignments and homework that is checked by the teacher and then I sign it each night and send it back. She would wirte as much as she could and the teacher would edit and add as necessary. This will carry over to any classes in the middle school.

Keyboarding made a big difference in her writing. At her last IEP we were all amazed when comparing writing from just a year ago to now.

B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by melmichigan
    The planner was written in that she would have a daily planner of assignments and homework that is checked by the teacher and then I sign it each night and send it back. She would write as much as she could and the teacher would edit and add as necessary. This will carry over to any classes in the middle school.

What a great idea! Your dd makes the start, and then each teacher adds, so she can see what she was missing! I will try to get this added to DS's IEP.

What book is the social worker using for social skills?

It's taken me so long to get back here because I've been posting and responding on other lists. The 2E list seems to be a little more worried about dealing with Aspie life skills challenges first, before academic accommodation. Another local list serv source told me her daughter got teased on a daily basis at G&T Middle and that the science teacher that DS would have would be wonderful.

Grinity, you are right. It is quite true that just having that extra teacher at Cozy won't necessarily keep kids from being mean.

I am still completely undecided! My plan is to call both schools Monday and see if I can meet with the principals.

Once we make a decision, I'll try to follow your advice, Dottie, and not second-guess. Thanks, Dottie, for your support!

Last edited by bk1; 03/13/10 01:14 PM. Reason: add name
    B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    And thanks also, Colin's mum, for the idea to send a gracious rejection letter to Cozy if we decide against it. Perhaps it would ease things if we wound up not getting G&T Middle or having to leave in a hurry.

B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I think for us, afterschooling to provide academic challenge might be harder than getting out of school help for ASD and executive functioning.

I can't do academic afterschool myself because it causes huge strife. DS suffers from Goldilocks syndrome, where whatever I give him is either too hard or too easy, and both seem to lead to meltdowns. He seems to do much better at controlling himself when taught by someone else.

DH is very patient but has little insight into what's causing the meltdowns and so often just exacerbates the anxiety and the meltdown.

While there are lots of academic afterschool opportunities in my very large city, most are right after school, AND not nearby and neither DH nor I would be available to take him. Also, we're in a city with a lot of wealth and lots of activities are priced beyond our means, even though we are middle class, just because great providers can charge much, much more and get it.

In addition, I haven't found anything else that would provide a just-right pace, opportunity to work with true peers at his LOG, and provide work-arounds for his writing problems. For example, there is a nearby afterschool science program, but it's geared for younger kids and nothing covered would be new content for him. More advanced science seems to be geared for older kids and require more math than he's had.

The distance learning classes offered by CTY seem to require more writing than he would be willing to handle voluntarily.

However, we are in a big metro area with lots of ASD kids and kids with executive function issues, and I think he would be willing to go to something based on social skills.

OK, I am workign this out as I am writing!

Thanks for listening in and giving your advice and support.

I am searching for afterschool help with the social skills issues and executive functioning and hoping we have better luck with location, time and pricing there.

Philosophically, I think when I have to make this kind of decision I try to play to my kids' strengths. Developing their strengths is going to help them overcome their weaknesses.

If your DS is in an environment with other kids at his cognitive level and who share interests with him, he is going to have many more opportunities for successful social interactions. I am speaking from personal experience... I have been told (as an adult) by professionals that I am "Aspergery" although the diagnosis did not exist when I was a child. I was certainly more severely affected as a child--regular public school was torture. The three years I spent at a GT middle/high school were the best of my K-12 experience. They were the only years where I felt that I fit in at all.

M
    M
    We are using this book http://www.amazon.com/Social-Skills...d=I13MYSVRS8N9P8&colid=2WJQ43ZCKJOM5 there is also a younger version that they sometimes use by the same author.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs