Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #71164 03/12/10 08:51 AM
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    We are moving, probably May 1st, and we are more than likely moving to a different school zone (same county).

With approximately 3 weeks remaining of the school year (after May 1st), would you be more inclined to move your child (gifted or not) to the new school for the last three weeks so he/she can get a feel of it, or keep him/her at the current school and drive back and forth (the latter being probably illegal, but still)? If we move to a place that has a primary school that only goes up to grade 1, we want to keep DS in his current school (no sense going to another school for 3 weeks and then begin even another in August). But not sure how to work out the other... plus, we may be as much as a 30-45 minute drive away.

Also, we are concerned with how a new school will receive DS6 (being grade accelerated and in Target). We will be in the same county, but not sure of how the transfer process is for a kid like DS, even within the same county. Should I contact his current school and give them a hypothetical? Or should I contact the county district and ask them, hypothetically speaking of course?

JJsMom #71176 03/12/10 09:57 AM
    I wish I knew about the advocacy, but I would definitely move my DS if he were in that situation. Mostly because by the end of the year he was always so bored anyway. Partially in hopes of making some friendships that he can enjoy over the summer - even if there was going to be a building change. So much depends on the child's personality...

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #71203 03/12/10 12:48 PM
    K
    K
    Now I rarely ever disagree with grinity ;-) but at 6 years old I would do all I could to finish the year at your current school. Kids tend to group up - unless it is a really small school - at the beginning of the year all the kids will have that lost you are you, what's that teacher like, feeling not just yours. Pools and playground over the summer can help make friends... but kids are more resilient than us so either why he'll adjust well!

JJsMom #71220 03/12/10 02:10 PM
    K
    K
    I don't know exactly what I would do in that situation. It is a tough decision.

I am a teacher and I wanted to mention that you probably could get a waiver to allow him to continue to attend his current school through the end of the year, so it wouldn't be "illegal". We often have students move mid-year and many stay to finish out the year. We actually had a student move three weeks into the school year, and he was given a waiver to stay the rest of the year (if not more).

ktmo #71225 03/12/10 02:27 PM
    K
    K
    I was also going to say, it definitely would not be illegal to finish out the school year at your current school where I am. I'd be really surprised if it was! I would ask your current school administration.

It does depend a lot on personality. But I would tend to want to leave my child in their current school unless they were extremely outgoing or very unhappy in their current school. Classes are so well established by that time of year, it would be hard to break into the friend groupings anyway. But if you have an opportunity for soccer, play groups, community ed type stuff local to you in the summer definitely pursue that.

My son was happiest in school that last month of school at that age. It was all outside stuff, field trips, creative & social stuff. It was literally the best month of school for him. And that was the year of school that led to homeschooling for him. Your little guy probably have fun no matter where he is at.

ktmo #71227 03/12/10 02:51 PM
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by ktmo
    I don't know exactly what I would do in that situation. It is a tough decision.

I am a teacher and I wanted to mention that you probably could get a waiver to allow him to continue to attend his current school through the end of the year, so it wouldn't be "illegal". We often have students move mid-year and many stay to finish out the year. We actually had a student move three weeks into the school year, and he was given a waiver to stay the rest of the year (if not more).

I got one, just incase I need it. smile I asked the school district today too.

JJsMom #71228 03/12/10 02:51 PM
    J
    JJsMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Oh and thanks y'all.

kimck #71267 03/12/10 08:01 PM
    Originally Posted by kimck
    extremely outgoing or very unhappy in their current school.

Describes my DS perfectly! No wonder I'd move him. There probably hasn't yet been a day of his school life (not counting 3rd grade) where I wouldn't move him at the drop of a hat, knowing what I know now.

Some people are more sensitive to the risks of lost opportunity, some are more sensitive to the risks of loss of what they already have. Anyone taking advice from me should know that I'm one of the former. It's good to know which one you are on an emotional level, so you can recruit the logical parts of the brain to balance those emotional tendencies.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #71270 03/12/10 08:20 PM
    I know every school is different, but we moved mid-April which turned out great. They tested DD and put her in the gifted classroom for the following year. We had so many frustration about the old school, so change was necessary. The teacher DD had from mid-April until the end of the year was wonderful and paired DD up with other girls that she might get along with and they ended up being great friends. That way she had playdates over the summer and an easier transition the rest of the year.

So socially it was a good decision and academically it was the perfect decision.

Jen

F
    F
    I'd schedule a tour of the new school and take my DD with me.

If he/she wanted to switch I would do it. If he/she was not comfortable switching mid year I would wait till the next year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM