Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 101 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #71021 03/11/10 08:06 AM
    K
    kec Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I am finally getting around to getting achievement tests for my DS8 in order to (hopefully) get him into DYS - his application is in limbo waiting for achievement tests results. I have two options for testers, each gives a different test.

The first option is a local psycologist who would admiister the WIAT II. I spoke with her to get an idea of how experienced she is with gifted children. It is not her focus, but I did get a good feeling about her overall. She mentioned that she understood that although the tests are set up to be objective, the tester does have some influence on the outcome.

The second option is with the Center for the Gifted in Philadlephia, listed on Hoagies. They would give the WJ III test. The reason I called the local tester was that the wait time for the Center for the Gifted was at least six months to a year, and the clock is ticking on our DYS application (I really don't want to have to redo the application if I can help it.) It turns out that they can fit him in the Monday after Easter, which would work great since he is off from school that day.

The other piece of informaiton is that the Center for the Gifted's price is about $225 higher than the local person, which is enough to keep this from being an easy choice.

I am terrible at making decisions and would love some input with those who are familiar with the tests and with the process.

I
    I
    I'd go with the local tester because of the cost & wait time. If the results seem off you could test again with the Center. Just my 2 cents. smile

My kids did WPPSI and WJ-III with a nice pleasant psychologist who doesn't specialized in gifted children. The wait for the appointment for short, the report came quickly. She was a pleasure to work with.

DS5 took a SBV with a psychologist who tests lots of gifted children. I wasn't that impressed with her. It took forever to get the results, even longer to get her correct some of the details (like consistent spelling of DS name). There were a few more glitches. I was far from being impressed by her.

If you feel comfortable with the local tester than do it. It may also put less stress on DS8 than traveling (not sure how far you live) and all that involved.

LMom

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM