Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    shellymos #70638 03/06/10 07:14 PM
    K
    K
    I think flapping is something many kids do but stop when they realize most people don't do it. They have to be aware enough of other people to stop. I know a gifted blind boy, definitely not on the spectrum, who flaps when he's excited. He can't see that other people don't flap.

keet #70781 03/08/10 08:01 PM
    K
    ksy Offline
    K
    I juts noticed this topic, having just recently joined your great group,and "repetetive behaviour" was an issue in my (long!) intro description of my 3.5 year old boy (is that a DS3?- I'm trying to figure out the lingo!)..so while some of you reflect on flapping, does anyone have experience with "jumping"? By this , I mean he randomly jumps up and down on the spot , usually 2 times, while doing an activity, excited, wandering around...he'll repeat it here and there, depending on whether or not he continues an activity...more when energetic, excited, sometimes not much at all..no flapping with it, no obvious viusal/verbal stims, just some bounces. AT our first screening with a psychologist, her initial impression (just after 1.5 hours) was unlikely AS, but seeing the jumping,she admitted it stood out as odd. Focusing in on this one behaviour is important to me because he has no other obvious stims (unless running up and down the hall, when bored or not active that day, 5 or 6 times, is a stim!)Anyone else have this experience?

ksy #70785 03/08/10 08:47 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hello Ksy, and yes you have the lingo down smile Yes, my DS used to jump more, when really into something or excited. He still does it occcasionally when he is on the computer for a bit or doing a task that takes a while and he has to be still, then he will randomly get up and do it and then sit back down. Honestly, I think they are little and their bodies are active and their minds are active. DS5 still spins some randomly. This is sometimes when he is bored and unsure what to do. He started doing it really early (like before 2). Everyone has seen it some, even the pediatrician, but they are not concerned. With the spinning DS does notice he is doing it, he just thinks it is fun. I think he is looking for some vestibular input or something, can't quite figure it out but he enjoys it at times. I guess some of these things come and go...he hasn't been doing the flapping thing since I first posted here. Very strange.

ksy #70787 03/08/10 08:56 PM
    R
    R
    hi ksy
    i just also wrote on the other thread, but then saw this. I would not worry about a stim like jumping now. At a young age lots of kids do minor stims. if you went to my neighborhood pool in the summer you'd think half the kids were on the spectrum. Its one of those things that by itself is not a problem and will probably go away when he starts to feel self-conscious about it and notices others not doing it (see my other post). My son was also a jumper more than a flapper. I would not try to interfere with it too much as sometimes when you "put out" one stim a new one will pop up in its place, I'd just ignore it for now, and redirect him if its more than a couple hops.. I would also say that it might be a good idea to make an appt. for an eval even if it takes one year. That year may give clarity one way or the other, and you can always cancel. Also remember that we ALL stim in one way or another. I am a hair twirler.

irene

shellymos #70790 03/08/10 09:02 PM
    K
    ksy Offline
    K
    shellymos- thnaks- quick question from a newbie- are your kids gifted, other?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM