Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #70481 03/04/10 07:56 PM
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Let me preface this by saying I intend no offense to any educators/teachers.

Perhaps it's just me, but I hate-hate-hate it when homework/projects are assigned over long breaks. I've tried really hard to hide my disdain for this, but I fear DS9 has picked up on it. He had homework over Christmas break and it was torturous to see that he did at least one page every other day and then there was the reading log for each and every day. "But Mooooommmmm, it's Christmas BREEEEEAAAAAKK - do I haaaaavve to?"

He shared with me that he was really mad about the project that is going to be assigned over Spring Break. I read the handout sent home today and they've done their best to make it sound fun and exciting, but all I see is a lot of work that DS won't want to do and will put off at every opportunity...which means that I'll be banging my head against a wall as I try to ensure that DS does get it done...and not all in the 30 minutes before bed on the day before it's due.

I'm not sure which is worse - being the kid who has homework over a break, or the parent of the kid that has homework over the break. <sigh> I hate homework.

Val Offline
    I'm with you 100% on this one, and I don't really mind if an educator finds the idea offensive. I actually find the idea of forcing children to work when they're on vacation to be quite insensitive. Vacation is supposed to be about resting, rather than serving as an opportunity for teachers to assign more work. Kids need downtime just like adults do. I've been vocal about this problem with my kids' teachers (with some success, actually).

Can your son and all the other kids in the class call their teacher for help on the assignment during the break?

Okay, I'll keep this rant short!

Val

Last edited by Val; 03/04/10 09:42 PM.
    M
    M
    I completely agree on this one. I'd be asking what kids are to do if their family planned an involved vacation?

C
    C
    Dear Teacher,

I just wanted to let you know that unfortunately, our plans for the vacation will not allow any time for Child to undertake this project, so he will not be doing it. Thank you for your understanding,

Parent

[You do not have to tell Teacher that the plans in question are for Child to have plenty of time to relax!]

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Dear School Administrators,

Does this lengthy project assigned for spring vacation mean we do not have to go 5 extra days in the summer to make up snow days? If not, be advised <child> will do one or the other, but will not lose spring break as well as losing days of summer break.

Thank you.

I think it depends on the grade/year. In elementary school, I think that's asking quite a lot to give up break time for homework. In middle school, however, it's almost a necessity. I have talked to one of my DD's middle school teachers about this - the problem is, there isn't enough time during the week in class to cover all the material. So, homework and projects over breaks are necessary to supplement the precious-little time they have in class each week.

I'm fine with it as long as the work is worthwhile.

F
    F
    laugh I LOVE the letters! LOL

and then there was the reading log for each and every day.
    I loathe reading logs! My DD's reading level is already too high and growing whats the point?

J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. And the letters were great wink! I've actually considered something like that, but am afraid that it would set a precedent for DS. He tends to pick up on these things and all it would take is one time of me telling him that I've informed the teacher he won't be doing something and the flood gates will be opened, LOL.

Originally Posted by Floridama
    I loathe reading logs! My DD's reading level is already too high and growing whats the point?
    Yep, same here. His reading log is part of the Pizza Hut Book It program, so at the end of a month, he gets a certificate for a free pizza. That lost it's luster in Kindergarten. And it's crazy, but DS will read for an hour sometimes, and I'll tell him he could add that to the reading log, but he won't. It's almost as if he doesn't want to taint his free time by marking it as time spent on homework or something. He'd rather read an additional 30 minutes and then record those. It's weird grin.

Last edited by JDAx3; 03/05/10 08:55 AM.
    C
    C
    As a teacher and an admin now, you'd be surprised how many people BEG us for work for their kids over break. They don't know how to keep them busy or what to do with them. So they prefer their kid be buried in schoolwork so they stay out of trouble.

I personally hate it. DS would love to read, create and invent over breaks. He doesn't want to be stuck doing 10 pages of math that is too easy for him anyway. But we suffer through it because it usually only takes an hour or two for elementary work anyway.

For my teachers at my school, I recommend that if they are going to do something, they do an independent, open ended project. My school is a 6-12th arts charter. Over the one month that is spring break (two weeks off in the middle) our 8th graders will be reading a book on a famous artist of their choice in their arts field. They then give a presentation of their design the week after break to the entire class. It's not too bad and gives the students a chance to have a lot of free choice and time to delve in to whatever they want at whatever level.

S
    S
    That is insane. I work in the education field and I have to say that homework over breaks is ridiculous. I am thankful that DS hasn't had that at all. He really rests and thrives during those school breaks, and I don't think he would if he had meaningless assignments. He still does challenging stuff at home, but they are his own challenges and stuff that he comes up with. It's not like he just sits on the couch....he is always thinking about or working on something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM