Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    O
    O
    The joy of thinking [videorecording] : the beauty and power of classical mathematical ideas / Edward B. Burger and Michael Starbird ; the Teaching Company ; a production of Alvin H. Perlmutter, Inc.

I just ordered the above from my library on your inspiration. I was wondering if anyone has tried this? Age?

I looked for the Benjamin one but our library does not have it. This one is from the teaching company too. $250 to buy. wow. How lucky my library has something like this.

What about something like this for enrichment at school? If he could watch on the computer with a head set that might be cool.

Last edited by onthegomom; 03/04/10 06:41 AM.
    C
    C
    I haven't tried that one, but I wanted to say that a key thing to know about the Teaching Company is that you don't buy full-price from them! They have a rolling sale - everything comes round at around 25% of the headline prices at least once per year, and they even advertise the fact! Not sure why they do it this way - maybe libraries do buy full price, or maybe it gets them some accounting or tax benefit?

Whether a school would go for it as enrichment, I don't know! They might be worried about the relatively passive nature of it, but maybe for just 30 mins at a time that would be OK, and some of the courses have places to stop for exercises, too (the Chemistry one does for example).

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    F
    F
    "Do I have to help fold if I watch?"
    (Normally, this is the LAW in our house -- if someone wants to watch TV, they must fold laundry.)

HA I LOVE it!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    The joy of thinking [videorecording] : the beauty and power of classical mathematical ideas / Edward B. Burger and Michael Starbird.

Ed Burger does many of the Thinkwell math programs. He's another engaging teacher. Can't beat the price from the library, that's for sure!

To echo some of the other sentiment... don't pay full price for one of the Teaching Company tapes or videos. Instead, get yourself on their email list and be patient. Also check the retailmenot.com website before ordering, as you'll often find another coupon that you can combine with your purchase.

Dandy

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    B
    B
    oooh, yeah, thank you!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets