Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #70413 03/04/10 09:18 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Last year, we were very frustrated with the sloppiness of DS's work. His writing was sloppy, he'd answer questions wrong because he hadn't read them completely and he'd skip things without even answering at all. So, we required that his work every day be "Neat, complete and correct" -- in other words "perfect." Of course, we would not have required the "correct" piece if DS had ANY trouble understanding the concepts. His errors were completely because he would go through his work as fast as possible so he could get back to whatever book he was reading.

DS definitely has perfectionist issues we don't want to add to, so we stopped enforcing the "neat, complete and correct requirement." In addition, the work isn't challenging for him at all. So, I'm in a quandry here of how to handle things without furthering the perfectionism issues.

His work has become REALLY sloppy/incomplete this year. And it's not just his homework (which he tries to complete on the bus ride home so he can enjoy his leisure time when he gets here), but also his classwork. His teacher allows him to read once he's finished so I'm sure he's breezing through that, too. I don't want to have her take away the books because it's DS's escape.

So my question is what do you all require of your DC? I think it's disrespectful to hand in work that's difficult to read because of sloppiness, or to make the teacher have to check a paper twice because she had to give it back to the student to complete. He comes home with 2-5 worksheets daily from school that he just skipped over stuff on.

I have little hope that we can get much differentiation from the school at this point. It's not a public school so it's difficult to push them to accommodate.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mama22Gs #70415 03/04/10 09:27 AM
    Have you explained to him that it takes longer for him to sloppily do his work and then have to redo it more neatly than it does for him to do it neatly the first time? That would play on his desire to have more free time. The other thing I would think about is talking with his teacher about a trial period where she gives him more difficult work to see if this would persuade him to work more neatly. If the more challenging work is interesting to him, you could always tell him that if he wants to continue with the more interesting work he will have to show the teacher that he can do it neatly. And by neat I mean kid-neat not adult-neat.

She thought she could, so she did.
    mnmom23 #70418 03/04/10 09:44 AM
    When my DS "pencil whips" an assignment, I simply make him do it again. He's learned over time tha it's much quicker to do it right the first time. Ask the teacher for duplicates for his worksheets. If he doesn't do them right, hand him a new one and make him start over. Don't let him correct the original, but rather start back at the beginning. If he refuses to do the new one, let him know that there will be no reading, video, tv etc until it's done. Don't argue, just give him the rule, the new page and walk away.

It took a little time, but it worked for us.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    BWBShari #70422 03/04/10 10:23 AM
    B
    B
    We are in the midst of this, too, and I've been handling it the same way as mnmom and BWBShari - make him do it over and explain the rationale behind doing it well the first time.

The only thing I would add is to have your son take the first crack at deciding what is not up to snuff. My DS has always been surprisingly good at judging the quality of his own work, especially given that he seems to have no clue when he's actually in the process of doing it. So I try to tell him, with every sheet, to check it over for neatness, completeness and accuracy (funny that we use almost the exact same wording, Mama22Gs!).

He catches quite a bit, but sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries before he catches everything I catch. I have stopped telling him how many errors I see, because then he isn't really examining everything and thinking for himself, so now I just tell him there are errors - and sometimes I don't even tell him that much. I am hoping to help him develop "an editor's eye" toward his own work, but it's a slow process.

BonusMom #70426 03/04/10 10:39 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks very much for the replies.

I've been lax on the quality of his work this year particularly because it is not challenging to him at all. I was wondering whether folks here were requiring their kids to do their work "well" even if it is below their level.

Sounds like maybe I need to re-consider whether our "neat, complete and correct" checklist was so over-the-top after all. I've been reading so much about the perils of perfectionism that it seemed like we were making things worse with that.

I liked mnmom's comment that the work should be "kid neat." I think I can go with the flow if it's legible, complete and correct.

Mama22Gs #70429 03/04/10 10:50 AM
    B
    B
    I've been realizing lately that, at least for my kid, the key to perfectionism is emotion. There's nothing wrong with noticing and correcting errors; it only becomes troublesome when anxiety, fear, self-doubt, etc. come on board.

So we've done a lot of talking - and continue to do so - about how making a mistake or being wrong or not knowing the answer in 0.6 seconds is all okay and does not have to hurt. This takes a *lot* of practice, and it's hard sometimes for me to purposely assign things I know he'll struggle with to the point of tears, but I have to keep reminding myself that now is the time to battle this dragon - not when he's alone at college.

BonusMom #70430 03/04/10 10:53 AM
    F
    F
    My DD & I are going through the same thing. Many of her numbers look like other numbers because they are so sloppy.
    Her 4's look 8?

Our game plan is
    Number 1 any work that comes from school unreadable is redone
    Number 2 She has to write her numbers Kindergarten style 5 times everyday after school until we start seeing improvement.

I think our biggest problem is that her school has pencil racer tasks every week which requires them to do math facts fast.
    Having to write math fast every week has encouraged her sloppy habits.

Floridama #70457 03/04/10 02:25 PM
    W
    W
    I explained to Wolf that if other people can't read it or if it is wrong because he rushed it and was sloppy (as opposed to not understanding etc...) then other people won't think that he understand the concepts. What that boils down to at our house since we do independent study is that he has to do more of the same work till he shows competence. It's not just about KNOWING how to do something with homework and schoolwork you have to SHOW THAT YOU KNOW and that means legible and no sloppy mistakes.

You can KNOW how to do brain surgery, but if you are sloppy about it and rush through it the results can be disasterous. Sort of an amusing analogy.

Wyldkat #70460 03/04/10 02:38 PM
    L
    L
    That was very funny Wyldkat! I will be borrowing that in the future-

Learningmom #76498 05/20/10 02:51 PM
    L
    L
    Last night DS9 had Math homework. I'm pretty sure the answers were fine - I didn't check, but the whole thing was SO messy. His has an agenda to be signed each night for homework, so I simply said that it was his work, and his responsibility. If he wanted to hand it in like that, it was up to him, but that I wasn't about to sign my name. I think making him take responsibility helps. He wasn't happy, but that was enough to motivate him to re-write it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM