Last year, we were very frustrated with the sloppiness of DS's work. His writing was sloppy, he'd answer questions wrong because he hadn't read them completely and he'd skip things without even answering at all. So, we required that his work every day be "Neat, complete and correct" -- in other words "perfect." Of course, we would not have required the "correct" piece if DS had ANY trouble understanding the concepts. His errors were completely because he would go through his work as fast as possible so he could get back to whatever book he was reading.

DS definitely has perfectionist issues we don't want to add to, so we stopped enforcing the "neat, complete and correct requirement." In addition, the work isn't challenging for him at all. So, I'm in a quandry here of how to handle things without furthering the perfectionism issues.

His work has become REALLY sloppy/incomplete this year. And it's not just his homework (which he tries to complete on the bus ride home so he can enjoy his leisure time when he gets here), but also his classwork. His teacher allows him to read once he's finished so I'm sure he's breezing through that, too. I don't want to have her take away the books because it's DS's escape.

So my question is what do you all require of your DC? I think it's disrespectful to hand in work that's difficult to read because of sloppiness, or to make the teacher have to check a paper twice because she had to give it back to the student to complete. He comes home with 2-5 worksheets daily from school that he just skipped over stuff on.

I have little hope that we can get much differentiation from the school at this point. It's not a public school so it's difficult to push them to accommodate.

Any suggestions are appreciated.