Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #70354 03/03/10 05:49 PM
    K
    kec Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I don't post too much, but had such an interesting evening I had to share it with someone. (I read the posts so much I feel like I know everyone here smile )

My DS8 had some math homework tonight that actually made him think! It was the first time ever that this has happened. It was a "complete the pattern" type worksheet, with the patterns being more complicated - add 1 subtract 2 add 1 subtract 3, etc involving two digit numbers. (He is getting different homework than the rest of the class as part of testing out of the math unit.)

What I found interesting is the fact that I don't think it should have been so difficult for him, but since he is never challenged, he did not know how to deal with it. He was also upset with how long it was taking him to do his homework which was keeping him from focusing on the task. If this had been part of a computer game or a puzzle in a book, I think he would have done it without a problem or the complaints.

I think I will write an email to the teacher and let her know that he was finally challenged tonight so she has an idea of what it takes.

kec #70358 03/03/10 08:09 PM
    I
    I
    Glad he's getting the opportunity to face challenging work when he's 8 instead of waiting until he's 18. After school I ask my daughters if they did any challenging math at school that day. DD5 usually answers yes because she does subject acceleration and gets 1st grade math. DD7 usually says no since she hasn't had any acceleration, so I give her challenging math. At first, she reacted the same way your son did but she's come a long way in keeping a good attitude when she has to think or learn something new.

F
    F
    smile Good news!

FYI I also scratch a thank-you note to the teacher, when challenging homework is assigned!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent