Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    splah Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I found this site out of frustration and endless searching to help me articulate what I need to tell DS10 teachers. A bit of background - DS was identified as GT in Kindergarten. His school does have a pull out program as well as clustering the GT kids (all 4 of them) into the same homeroom. The homeroom teacher is supposed to be GT certified but I've learned through past years that this isn't always the case. The simply don't have enough GT certified teachers for each grade level. He currently has 1 teacher for math and science and then moves to the classroom next door for social studies, grammar/LA and reading.

Ever since the mandatory parent/teacher conference last fall his teachers have been convinced that DS is depressed. Admittedly he was down last fall after a big family vacation to Disneyworld (I also suffered from Post Disney Depression). He eventually got over it got back to his usual self. Following the Christmas break he has really struggled with staying organized and staying on task in school. I think it is due to the big focus on the TAKS test (the standardized test for Texas). Last year he scored a 100 on the math TAKS and a 98 on the reading. So he isn't really in dire need of prep for the test kwim? His grammar teacher is convinced something is "bothering him." And yesterday his math/science teacher emailed me asking if everything was alright at home. I asked him about it last night and he said he was bored. All of the math stuff is repetitive. There is some new stuff but he gets it right off and would just assume that he read his book. I'm sure many of you are familiar with this quandry.

So the teacher now wants to schedule a conference with both teachers and DS as well as DH and myself. I will admit I probably haven't been a strong advocate for him. I've always just tried to work with the teacher and we've muddled through the year trying to keep him from getting too bored. But now they are trying to suggest something is wrong with him and I feel the need to step up to the plate. Any advice?? Where do I even begin?

Others will have better and more experience, but if you can afford it, maybe a full out assessment by a psychologist experienced in testing G/T kids. If all you know is that he was identified as G/T in Kindergarten, then there is a huge range out there in terms of what might be necessary in terms of accomodating what he knows. For example, an above-age or grade assessment might show that even doing GT math in his current grade isn't challenging enough.

OTOH, you know your son well - is it possible something beyond school is bothering him? Did he perk up over the holidays when he was out of school? Do you think it is only about school? Can he give you more information about being "bored" - i.e. more examples, etc.

Good luck,

Cat

S
    splah Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    He was identified in Kindergarten and then they have to requalify at the end of 1st grade to go on to the 2-12 GT program. I know he was tested and I'll have to find the tests they used and his scores. I may look into getting him tested on my own because I know he's above grade level. Each year they check benchmarks and he always starts out the year with results showing he's where he needs to be by the end of the year. I asked his teacher this year about that and she said they never test beyond the current grade level they are in so that they can show improvement at the end of the year. So he more than likely is beyond his grade level but I don't know how far beyond. Can you point me in the direction of where I would need to go to have him tested?

His explanation of his boredom is either it's material that has already been covered (ex: geometry) or it's just so easy for him. The example he gave me last night was reading a paragraph and looking for the grammar errors and rewriting it correctly. He said the grammar error would be something as simple as i instead of I. I could be wrong, but I would think that would be easy for most 4th graders even taking GT out of the equation.

Boy does this sound familiar. My DS9 but in 4th grade is experiencing EXACTLY the same thing (I posted something similar). We have the same thing at our school "pull out program as well as clustering the GT kids (all 4 of them) into the same homeroom." We have a G&T teacher but it doesn't seem enough when all they are getting is a book club and doing debates. There is absolutely no acceleration for math and my son just can't stand it anymore however he makes mistakes at the level they are at - because "he just doesn't pay attention to the details" as his teacher says. Who would after you've already learned it a thousand times. We have begged for more and they are so against it. My son scored perfect on the NJASK (which sounds like the same test as in Texas) and has scored 99.9% on other tests MAP, COGAT (97.9%) or above in all subjects. He also score 146 on the WISC IV which they aren't even using now. It is ridiculous and a shame as he is becoming the same way at school. Hopefully, the school will work with you. My best advice would be to ask for some kind of acceleration (not more homework) even if it means just getting different work for home. Another teacher may then be able to go over it say at lunch time. But ask for as much as you can to start with. Last year my sons teacher would give him homework that was a grade or two above what the other kids got. However, this year they won't even think about it. I don't know how important it will be to do outside testing as they already know he is gifted however, they may be able to test him within the school - and that may hold more clout as it is coming from them. I feel your pain. Another problem is if your son is above the other G&T kids then they will hold him back and cluster him along with them. You have to show that he needs even more than them. Please keep us up to date as I would love to know what works for you. I am wishing you lots of luck and don't give up.

Jules

S
    splah Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Our pull out program is basically a fall project and a spring project. The fall project was about Wind Power and was really elaborate. DS couldn't have cared less about it. He saw it as just more work. Between you and me - if they would have asked him to do a presentation over Greek Mythology he would have been all over it. His spring project is a little more interesting but is still just more work. The GT group also runs the school store on Thursday mornings. While DS does enjoy this and there are real world applications for it running the store doesn't solve our boredom with math.
    To complicate matters, DS has a late September bday and the cutoff for enrollment in kindergarten was 9/1. So he is an "old" 4th grader. Back then I really waffled on pushing to enroll him earlier and then decided it would be better to wait and let him be an older kid since boys mature slower. I sometimes regret that decision.

Where are you in Texas? The DFW area has a number of excellent public and private options for GT kids.

I think your first step is to find a GT Psychologist and get your DS tested and then get advice on your options from the Psych. You can then either advocate within your current school district or find a program in another district that will work.

Keeping him where he is at is reinforcing failure.

I think its great that he loves Greek Mythology. That is how I got into all of Greek literature and history and learned to read Greek as well. He just needs to be nudged to go further into the Classics. That will not happen where he is at.

Funny how so many of our kids love Greek Mythology smile.

M
    Mag Offline
    M
    Hi Splah,

Sorry to hear about you and your son's frustration.

1. If you are in the DFW area, Dr. Beth Lusby is highly recommended and she is on the Hoagies' list of psychologists.

2. If you are in Texas, check out these two links:

This one is about "credit by examination."
    http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/rules/tac/chapter074/ch074c.html#74.24

This one is the gifted students' right to "appropriate" education. Granted, it depends on each school district's interpretation.
    http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/rules/tac/chapter089/ch089a.html

Hope this helps....
    Mag

PS: For us, having DD6's IQ and achievement score helped with "appropriate" education discussion. Even though the school team seemed sincere in helping, we are waiting for the district to tell us what is "approved."

Last edited by Mag; 03/03/10 12:43 PM.
    S
    splah Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I so appreciate all of the information. I'm going to have to come back to this tonight when I have more time and really digest it. To quickly answer one of the questions, I am in a suburb north of Houston (Humble/Kingwood if you're familiar with the area).
    And I didn't realize that so many other GT kids were into greek mythology! Dh had a conversation with him about it a couple of weeks ago and came to me later saying "Do you realize just how much he knows and understands about mythology??" I'll have to share this commonality with DH!

F
    F
    Can you point me in the direction of where I would need to go to have him tested?
    If you are in a rush to have him academically assessed, before your meeting, I would look for a tutoring center, like Sylvan. They are reasonably priced and you can usually get a test set-up within a few days. Once you have a handle on his academmic level, I would go deeper with a psycologist.

Funny how so many of our kids love Greek Mythology
    My DD7 recently started reading Percy Jackson, she had to quit after the first few chapters because she "needed" to learn about the Greek Myths in the book. LOl After 2 weeks of research she is now back to reading the book.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM