Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
    #69581 02/23/10 07:27 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Has anybody received their test results yet? I know it's wishful thinking but I thought I'd ask.

Bill

colorpro #69586 02/23/10 07:49 PM
    V
    VRW Offline
    V
    No Still waiting.

VRW #69620 02/24/10 06:18 AM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Yep, Still waiting.

cym #69977 02/27/10 12:01 PM
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    week 5 - no results

colorpro #69981 02/27/10 12:36 PM
    D
    D
    Wow - that is a long time. I think I would drive myself nuts with that long of a wait. My DS13 did the ACT this year and we had the results one day shy of 2 weeks. I couldn't believe how fast it was. Next year my DD7 will be taking Explore so now I know to prepare myself.

DorothyS #69983 02/27/10 01:10 PM
    C
    C
    Yeah, dd's January SAT scores came about a week ago. Dd#2's Feb. Explore results can take up until the end of March or early April from what our local talent search says. Those kids who tested sooner will hopefully get them sooner!

I am really wanting to know how dd did on the Explore b/c I need more "ammo" to see if I can convince her school to give her a GT identification. While they put her in the GT reading class, the coordinator tells me that they require two of the following for a formal id and that she doesn't have two: ability, achievement, behavioral scales. She does have two IQ tests with the VCI in the 99.7 and 99, respectively and the PRI in the 99th on the first as well as GAIs of 99.9 and 97 respectively, which they are willing to accept in lieu of the CogAT for ability.

The achievement part is the area where we are running into trouble. They apparently are only looking at MAPs and CSAP (NCLB state test). Dd's MAPs scores are wildly erratic ranging from the 50s to 90s and we have gotten that same "good guessing" c**p about the higher MAPs scores. Her CSAPs were all proficient and some bordering on advanced, but none were advanced.

However, her WIAT scores from last May were in the 98th for math, 99th for writing, and 95th for reading and her GORT (an individual reading achievement test) from the same time is in the 98th for reading. The GT coordinator tells me that she isn't sure that they can use this much "alternate data." I'm sorry for the long OT post! I am just really frustrated.

The big issue for her is not placement, b/c they aren't going to do anything more for her even with an id. The issue is that, when she hits middle school (6th grade), she will be changing districts and that district would absolutely be iding her for math and reading with these scores. However, by the time she gets there, the scores will be too old for a new id and we'd have to retest IQ and everything. I just want her placed such that she has doors open to her in middle school in case she needs or wants them.

Her Explore scores may not help anyway, but it would be good to know. Thank you for letting me vent smile.

Cricket2 #70104 03/01/10 11:47 AM
    H
    H
    No EXPLORE test results as of yet...tested in January! We are anxious for results for school "ammo" as well.

Maria

Based on last years posts, I'm predicting we'll get them this week, with at least one person getting theirs today.

Originally Posted by gratified3
    Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    Based on last years posts, I'm predicting we'll get them this week, with at least one person getting theirs today.

Ohhhh thanks OHG -- you've now turned a very minor interest into intense interest!! grin I am also looking for school ammunition which makes me more invested in these than I expected to be.

smirk I've been known to stir the pot. grin
    I really don't have anything riding on the results of GS10's test. He's on track to be in the advanced classrooms they begin at 6th grade at our school. He'll be taking band, with his flute. He'll be doing track. He's happy with his friends who will be with him in the advanced classes. He's busy with stuff on the farm.
    The only thing that might change my plans is if GS10's scores surprise me. Then I might see what we can do to speed up the math & LA sequence in 6th grade.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    So, when would you estimate that Feb. results would come?

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM