Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 308 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #69957 02/27/10 07:53 AM
    Kate Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So

Last edited by Kate; 03/28/13 08:00 AM.
    T
    T
    NanRos,
    Sorry to hear that your son had such a tough time at school. That's really difficult frown Reading your post reminded me of a book I read earlier this year (fiction). The title is Anything But Typical and the narrative is told from the perspective of a student with autism. I mention it because if you read it and see it as similar to your son's experiences, it might be a good teacher gift. Perhaps it would increase understanding/empathy.

Regarding manifestation hearings: I assume you're referring to the manifestation determination process. If so, that kicks in if a student accumulates 10 days of suspension in a school year. Some behavior challenges can be addressed through a behavior intervention plan written into the IEP. However, depending on your Board of Education Policy, there are behaviors that cannot be covered by that plan except through change of placement (which I'm assuming you don't want). If you don't already have a Behavior Intervention Plan in the IEP, you might want to request that the IEP be ammended to include one, with a focus on how behavior will be addressed before it gets to the point of flipping a desk over. You're unlikely to end up with a plan that doesn't require a lengthy removal from the classroom for something like flipping a desk, but often there are supports/responses that can be used before frustration escalates to that point.

A couple of links you might find helpful in talking with the school about how they can better support your son (keeping in mind that these articles address a range of students with autism, they are still full of good info):

http://paulakluth.com/articles/hangingin.html

http://paulakluth.com/articles/calmincrisis.html

HTH!

Last edited by Taminy; 02/27/10 11:44 AM.
    N
    N
    Aargh! I know where you're coming from, here!

We are so lucky this year that DS7 got an IEP under Special Ed. to go with his GT plan--if it weren't for that, he'd have been suspended a long time ago! He has a lot of anger and frustration issues (and Asperger's) and is frequently in trouble for the way he deals with things. He's getting lots of social skills help and making progress, but it's a slow, uphill climb. A great deal of his frustration comes from how boring a lot of his day is for him.

I hope you can get things worked out for yours!

N
    N
    His social skills class is helping, yet that is actually somewhat of a trigger for him. He is brave and tries out things he is learning in social skills (conversation starters and continuers) yet they don't go exactly right like they do in class guided by 2 communication therapists! He gets stuck and doesn't know how to get out of it and all sorts of weird behaviors emerge! Yes, it is a slow uphill battle. Teachers say, "but he's so smart" like that should make up for a social age of 4!

I don't doubt for a moment that this is precisely one of our problems as well! In fact, that sounds like the same social skills stuff that DS7 gets here. I can't even imagine how those lovely "canned" conversations go when he tries them out on his classmates. I'll have to mention that to his counselors!

Originally Posted by NanRos
    yes, we have obtained an advocate which is how I found out that he should not have been suspended. She will be helping us strengthen his IEP and BIP. you are right about the suspension being meaningless...punishment in general is minimally effective. The suspension provided him with a nice quiet room to read his AR books undisturbed.

Originally Posted by NanRos
    Yes, a lot of our DS7's problems stem from boredom. He has to bring his own books to read during times when he finishes his work ahead of time.

When this happened to me a few times -"punished" for being "disruptive", I walked out the school and went home and called my mom. Mom then called the school to tell them I had a Dr's appointment and she needed to pick me up. You can imagine what came next.

After much discussion, the solution was to let me stay in class, take the tests, and then sit by myself, reading. I also got to go to the library the first and last hour of the day.

How is he around other kids on HIS intellectual level? Does he interact with adults well?

Last edited by Austin; 03/03/10 12:04 PM.
    Kate Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Austin, I love your mom. My DS7 gets along great with adults...adults love him and can't believe the stuff he comes up with. (Except of course for the type of teacher who wants complete control and cannot tolerate his questioning of every single thing.) He hasn't met any true intellectual peers I don't think, even though he is in the gifted class. I'm hoping next year when he is in the "school for the gifted" he will be exposed to more kids like him. Just the other day, he expressed a desire to meet an adult like him...I guess his parents are just not up to snuff. He has informed us many times that we are not "in autism" with him. Anyway, the sad thing is, is that the school suspended him a second time and my husband brought him home this time. They have not yet scheduled our so-called emergency IEP meeting. We are now taking him to school late to miss his "specials" classes which are a disaster. When he was home on suspension, he had 2 hours of school work to make up...he finished it in 10 minutes. I can't even imagine how he is getting through the day with such minimal intellectual challenge. Well, we are dealing with it now and it will improve. Nan

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations