Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    Steph Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    I'm looking into summer camp options for DS and Camp Invention seems right up his alley. I wondered if anyone had been there to give a review? Also, the site states they place according to age but he gradeskipped & would prefer to be in that group. Just wondered if anyone had experience w/that?

If there are any other recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Two of my three kids have gone to Camp Invention and the third will be going for the first time this summer, and they have really enjoyed it. I don't know how it's done nationwide, but here, kids are grouped according to grade, not age. My DD8 was gradeskipped this fall and was placed with the higher grade group in August. Here it is grouped 1st through 3rd and 4th through 6th (the grade they will be entering into in the fall).

Like I said, my kids have loved it. My kids are the type to collect recyclables and junk and create inventions with it anyway, so this is right up their alley. Every year there are different modules that are worked on during the week and all involve creativity, problem solving, and fun. One year my son designed amusement park games in one module. Another year my kids built different viking ships to sail across the sea (a small pool) and in the process learned about both the vikings and ship design. And always there is a module where the kids bring in a used appliance, take it apart, and then build something new with it. To us, it's a great learning experience and a fun way to spend a week in the summer.

If I were you, I would look into having your son in the group into which he has gradeskipped. If his school has deemed him academically and socially mature enough to be in that grade, then CI should also.

She thought she could, so she did.
    MON is right. The inventions they make usually don't work, and they do require that you remove cords and glass from the appliances you bring in. I could definitely see that this could be disappointing to some kids, while others don't mind.

She thought she could, so she did.
    C
    C
    I was planning on signing dd up this summer. Now, I'm not sure,

Warning: sleep deprived
    C
    C
    My son went last summer and begged to go again every week! We didn't let him go but have already signed him up for this summer. Ours is at his elementary school and they group by grade in the fall.

Yes, he did have to take apart an electronics object. He did a VCR. He was allowed to use anything on the inside he wanted. They were just not allowed to actually put any power to their inventions. He wasn't bothered at all and he made a Mars Rover prototype that he plans on building "for real life when he's in college. "

I loved the creative problem solving they did in the other units beyond the take-apart section. It was well worth every penny and one of the best camps he's been to.

Originally Posted by master of none
    DS did it at age 8 and was disappointed. He has always collected junk and made his own creations, some of them useful. That's all they did in this class. There are several different classes, but the one DS did was making something that didn't work. It was just a model. They took apart old electronics and used the casing, but not the electronics.
    At age 7, I think, DS13 also felt that this was one of the worst summer camp weeks of his life for this very reason - he really had expected to make working inventions. He came close to staging a 'Gandhi - Style' sit down strike on the playground after recess on the 2nd to last day. I was so relieved with that week was over.

The camp is run by local site directors, and my guess is that the leader makes a huge difference in how the camp is run. Also, my DS7 didn't really understand about 'prototypes' at the time, and their role in the development process. He had just come off of his least-accommodated year ever, and can be rather literal.

I love hearing that other kids have loved this camp.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    B
    GREAT question...we have been searching high and low for a camp in our area and we came across Camp Invention that will be offered at a local school...I was wondering just how good it was...we wish we could afford the awesome computer programming camp at Rollins this summer but we don't have over $500.00 for a week long summer camp!

S
    Steph Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for the replies! Despite the mixed reviews (which I also got when searching online) I think we'll try it & hope for the best. I do agree that the mgmt & teachers probably make a huge difference.

His sister is going to her first sleep away camp w/a friend. I'm trying to find him a good day camp that week & the lego robotics camp at the local college is already full.

Isn't it amazing the summer camp options can get fulled up by late February? I had to mark my calendar for Jan 1 to request catalogs and make down payments.

Sometimes YMCA camps will have 'lego week' or lego robotics as an activity option. Keep asking around Steph and good luck!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Another vote in favor of CI. My son has gone the last two years and he loves it. The "take-apart" project is really more creative then technical, and while that is what brought us to the camp originally (my son is a "builder"), he actually enjoyed some of the other modules even more - and learned good social skills with the cooperative games and projects, which is really nice.

He has gone to 2 different locations, and will actually end up in a third location this summer (this is just because of scheduling for each summer). The locations can vary - his first summer was more organized, but the staff was less engaged. Last summer the high school helpers were really great.

He told me he wanted to go at least another 2 years - we will see if it continues to hold him (he is 8 this summer).

Cat

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs