Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #69582 02/23/10 07:29 PM
    T
    Taminy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    cry bursting into tears is probably not the most positive way to start out a post, but I'm having one of those beat-down, maybe-the-school-is-right, maybe-I-don't-know-anything-about-my-child kind of days. It's a ride I've been on before and frankly, it's exhausting me. None of my doubts are based on DD, they're all about the school and the lack of clear or understandable parameters for what they consider "gifted" (since apparently the data points they mention generally when they talk about giftedness only count when they are acheived by others).

So...I'm back to considering IQ testing, which we haven't done. The thing is, DD is 10 and a half, and I keep reading about how the ideal age range ends at 9 for an accurate score. I can deal with a score being lower than I think it will be--but only if I can have confidence that it is a likely score, since the whole point of doing this would be to get off the merry-go-round of "I'm right...no, the school's right...no I'm right...no.. eek " . Seriously, I can't take it anymore.... If I have to worry that she can't get an accurate score at her age, then there's no point in this at all. Which brings me to my big question:

DD is not PG. Based on descriptions I've read, maybe HG. Does that mean I don't have to worry about her age? Is it only the PG who have their scores depressed by ceilings at that age? It seems so odd to me that tests would be constructed that would become inaccurate at such a young age, but I have no idea what to expect when it comes to this type of testing.

Thoughts?

I
    I
    I'd call one of the psychologists on the Hoagies list and discuss your concerns about the age and testing. Dr. Amend was very helpful on the phone answering my questions before I scheduled appointments for DD7 and DD5. http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm

since apparently the data points they mention generally when they talk about giftedness only count when they are acheived by others
    Been there before and it stinks. Having the independent testing data helped me get through that nonsense. Hang in there and sending good thoughts your way.

I think that the new extended scoring systems on the WISC-IV and SB5 make this less of an issue (as long as the tester is familiar with them.)

DD tested at 9, and I think her score seems to be an accurate reflection of her abilities. She is not PG, though.

If I were you, I would go ahead and test. The information you get may be useful. If cost is not an issue, there is nothing to be lost by testing, and there is potential gain in terms of insight into your DD's learning style and possibly for advocacy purposes.

I don't think the test will tell you who is "right", but I think it could be useful.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    I think that the new extended scoring systems on the WISC-IV and SB5 make this less of an issue

I'm waiting for more knowledgeable folks to chime in, but I'm not sure that's the case. My understanding was that the problem is that there aren't enough questions at high levels (or high enough levels) so that an older child has to answer with near perfect accuracy in order to get a high score. There is very little margin for error. I don't think extended scoring would have any impact, since the fact that more 10-year-olds can answer the questions correctly is going to mean a lower scaled score and extended scoring won't kick in unless you get a 19 (I think).

The test number will be a harder fact that will be harder to deny and the tester will be an advocate and sounding board for you.

A lot of parents have been surprised by much higher results than expected. Something to think about, too.

Last edited by Austin; 02/23/10 09:00 PM.
    M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Extended scores can be used if 2 subtests are 18s or 19s. I

M
    MES Offline
    M
    My son tested at 4 yrs. 11 mos., 5 years 9 mos. and 11 years 11 mos. (see my 9/22 post). While the numbers were not exactly the same, it seems that pg scores can be reached at the older ages.

Doesn't the SB5 have norms into adulthood? Maybe that would be a more suitable choice since presumeably there would be more test items available and stopping criteria could be met without running out of questions.

F
    F
    So...I'm back to considering IQ testing, which we haven't done.

When then I am left to wonder how your school could default her to not being gifted?
    Is achievement test the only thing they use to consider gifted?

It would trust your gut. I often hear of people who thought their 3-6yo were special only to find out that they averaged out by 9, but I have never heard of a 10yo parent being wrong. By 10 most kids have leveled out as much as they are going to, so If you notice that your 10yr is different, I would gamble that you are right.

DD is not PG. Based on descriptions I've read, maybe HG.

I believe that most schools are designed to meet the needs of kids whose IQ range is below 110. Its not just kids PG kids who need more challenging work! There is larger pool of kids who are in the 120's who also under challenged.
    So, even if your DD does not break the infamous 130 benchmark, it does not mean that she doesn't have the need or ability to be challenged above the regular curriculum.

Your child is entering the most important phase of her education and development. I would highly recommend having her IQ tested and advocate for needs.

L
    L
    Waiting until they are old enough that they are dealing with puberty and physical changes that for my son seemed to cause more anxiety to the point that he couldn't sleep well the night before the test, is probably not a good idea. He was also in the middle of a growth spurt and I think it made his 2E issues worse. His migraines also got worse and he started to get one in the middle of testing. I wish I could have had him tested earlier so that I could compare the scores, but we had to wait until our insurance would pay for it and the only reason it finally did was because of a disability and we needed a diagnosis. He compensated for his disabilities well enough when he was younger that we could not get any kind of therapy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM