Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    We've gathered the information and the time has come to advocate. We are opened to all learning environments, homeschool, private and public. Our first choice is to leave him in the public gifted because he has friends there and it's free, but now we're feeling like we have to ask for a lot for that to work. We definately have to ask for math and now we're remembering that while he was VERY vocal about the math, he was also vocal about science. The written language for the class is just right for him, but I think the reading is only average. In having conversations with the teacher in the past, I think the math is going to require something that they aren't equipped or willing to work with and it's going to take some work to get that addressed. I'm wondering if it's worth the energy?? For private, the most appropriate school, has closed registration for the year. Personally, I'd love to pull him and homeschool him, but I'm not sure if that's best for him. He's not a hugely social guy, but friends are friends. I think I'm also looking for support for my perfectionism and wanting a 'perfect fit for him'. I know it's not possible, but I'm really good at it !!!

M
    M
    It doesn't hurt to ask. smile It was wonderfully helpful for me to advocate knowing that if it didn't come out the way we wanted/needed my DD could homeschool. This semester my DD only attends for Art and Music classes. For us it reached a point where advocating with this school for this child became to much and we decided it wasn't worth it anymore, right now. But she had a year of dual enrollment and made some real progress during that time. So for me that was a win. She now loves homeschooling, and we have left the door open in coming years. She wants to attend for some specials, and maybe if it's the right time and the right classes she might attend during high school, or she will dual enroll with the CC. I think it was helpful in advocating that the school knew I was willing to let her homeschool. (We also used an advocate regarding her speech services, which wouldn't apply in your situation but was helpful as well.)

I can't remember off hand how old your DS is so I can't remember if it's appropriate to ask for his input as well. How often does he get to spend time during the school day with his friends? Is it something that could be balanced with some additional after school time? There are many variables. Would a dual enrollment be something you would consider or want to put on the table?

Remeber to discuss what you are willing to negotiate on and where you draw the line beforehand. I wasn't afraid to say, no we (DH and I) discussed this and don't feel that x,y,z is an acceptable/appropriate alternative. Don't forget to mention any positives, the things that they are doing that are working as well.

Hopfully you'll find something useful in all that, it's to early in the morning with Explore testing today. smile

Last edited by melmichigan; 02/20/10 05:38 AM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thank you Mel! He's 9, I think his input is important and part of the consideration, but he's not going to make the final decision. His friends are in the class with him and at recess. He has other friends around and I've been able to keep him in touch with old friends from the neighborhood school that he attended last year. Also, apparently there is a huge number of homeschoolers in the area, so I need to get out exploring a bit. That is a great idea about knowing what we're ready to draw the line at and keeping it positive! Math needs to be more appropriate and since science is often in the afternoon with math, maybe we could do both. The school district said that a partial homeschool had never been done with the FT gifted class but that didn't mean it couldn't be done. The other part is working through his perfectionism. The doctor said 'he's going to tanrum and rebel out of it'. I'm not sure it would benefit him to do that amongst peers.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM