Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I am looking for some new books, or a series of books, to read to DS (3 years). He is HUGE into the Magic School Bus series and we read them all of the time (we own all of the picture books). They have been great because they spur interests (dinosaurs, sharks, space), and then off to the library we go for more information....but "I" need something different. wink

He used to love Little Critter, anything Clifford, Curious George, or any Dr. Seuss, but now it is only the Magic School Bus all day long. He can read, and has lots of beginning readers to read on his own (Dick and Jane, I can read, Bob books), but I would like something new for our storytimes (he would snuggle all day and just read books if we could). Any ideas?

I checked out some MathStart books thinking that it might be fun to have some Math learning (and it was series so I knew that there would be a good variety for me without too much research) but he wasn't into it at all. I have thought about trying some easy chapter books too, but I don't know where to start with easy ones (i.e. something I could read outloud). Since I seem to be reading or singing all day long (my oldest DS is just a busy body as I am sure you can relate to and constantly wanting that stimulation) I am afraid that I might lose my voice reading too long of books. Plus, I want the content to be suitable for a three year old as well...i.e. good manners, language.

I have friends that recommended Mercy Watson and the Magic Tree House, but I know nothing about them. Would the content be acceptable for a newly turned three year old? Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated. smile

T
    T
    When my DS was 3 and reading and it was not easy to find easy books like the bob books I created stories myself in word.
    He loved Thomas the train so I put a picture in word and then just wrote simple sentences for him to read. Since it was about Thomas he was intererested. Don't know if that helps any.

My 2nd son is 3 now and man I can't get him to learn the letter A what a difference LOL

T
    T
    My DD 3.9 LOVES the Read and Found Out Science Series and I like them too. You can read about space, plants, animals,weather, the human body, etc. and they are leveled: she likes level one and two right now. Some of them shoot a little low for the amount of detail and some give more than she wants, but in general, I think these are great books and my daughter enjoys them.

My DD also likes Magic Schoolbus but the books annoy me. I don't like the layouts and storylines and like the more direct Let's Read and Find Out Science Series.

We just go to the library and browse and read a wide variety of all lengths and subject matters.

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 02/16/10 01:34 PM.
    P
    P
    DS 2.8 likes (me to read) the Mama Rex and T series. DS says his favorites are Mama Rex and T Lose a Waffle and Mama Rex and T Stay up Late. I don't know about them spurring interests, he just likes the series.

I need to check out the Magic Schoolbus series, so far we have only read some of the magic schoolbus all-about books and I guess there is a whole other category of magic schoolbus?

Polly

N
    N
    Personally, I mostly leave serial books for DD to read to herself. I usually read longer or more difficult picture books to her. When DD was a fairly new reader, we really enjoyed the We Both Read books to read together. But picture books were really what we did at 3. Some of the best we heard about on here (there's a long thread of book recommendations somewhere) and many we found just browsing the library. smile (Now, at 4, I mostly read chapter books a la Dahl to her, but they would have been too scary for her even a few months ago.)

T
    T
    here is a link to those books: http://www.harpercollinschildrens.com/Kids/SeriesDetail.aspx?PSId=224

I'd recommend checking them out in person though because I find that some are much better than others. I also find that books at the same level can be very different in terms of complexity. We have had so much fun with these books.

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 02/16/10 01:52 PM.
    Min Offline
    My sons really enjoyed "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis at age 3. Usually they preferred action-packed stories as read-alouds, but the imagery really captivated them.

A
    A
    My mom worked the library to within an inch of its life, so I do, too. My mom checked out adult travel photo books from around the world, snuggle to a book about Tibet. Try science or social science books that could be for teens or adults. The child will let you know when they're done. (!) And ask your librarian for ideas. On a different day, ask a different librarian.

What about books on tape or CD? They teach amazing things, give you a break. Tacky the Penguin has amazing rhythmic patterns. There are CD's with incredible drama reading African tales, CD's of Latin stories or music, (learn some Spanish), CD's of basic nursery rhymes. Get a used boombox or similar, so your child has the power to choose which books/tapes/CDs to listen to. (You can use in car also.)

AFA chapter books, the Boxcar Children. Collections of myths, Native American tales. Authors: Rosemary Wells (Max series), David McPhail, Lobel. Series: George and Martha, Professor Xargle (funny for adults!). Totally fun: "Humphrey, Albert, and the Flying Machine," and "Henry & the Buccaneer Bunnies".

The secret to starting chapter books, think about how many words are on one page of a chapter book, vs how many words in entire "beginning book". More words are on one page of a chapter book. You may need several sittings to get through a chapter book, which is fine. I did 2 books at bedtime, and one of them began to be part of a chapter.

We started reading the Magic Tree House books to my oldest DS when he was about 3. Because the main characters in the book are 7 and 8, the books are very doable for young kids to listen to. The characters are brother and sister and treat each other well. My kids have always liked that each book delves into another period of history or another country or place. There's no violence, any tension that builds is very quickly resolved, nothing's scary, and everything always ends well.

The Nate the Great series is good if you're looking for very short chapter books. They are also good for discussing things like foreshadowing and for picking up on clues throughout the book that will help him solve his latest mystery.

We also liked The Littles books. Again, very short chapter books, adventuresome, totally harmless.

The Ready, Freddy series is also cute, about a young boy dealing with everyday situations in life (show-and-tell, being afraid of Halloween, saving up your money to buy something you really want, etc.).

We've recently gotten the Dragon Slayers' Academy books, and we haven't started reading them yet, but someone here recommended them.

Oh, also, the Flat Stanley series.

Last edited by mnmom23; 02/19/10 08:03 AM.

She thought she could, so she did.
    Sometimes Picture books are great the ones with great detail
    You Can't take a balloon into The Metropolitian Museum By jacqueline Preiss Weitzman and Robin Preiss Glasser Also my son loved and still love The Adventures of the dish and the Spoon not sure of the author and classics like little red riding hood Jack and the Beanstalk, Three little Bears. Then there is a great book I might have the title wrong but News!! The story about a repoter who finds out what happen to Jack after the beanstalk and little red riding hood whats shes doing now. They are so fun!! Great details your eyes will always see something new! Oh and one more optical illusions are great for self entertaining. This is when I do my nails! My Dd5, ds7, ds13, practically live at the library we live within walking distance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM