Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 95 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    All of these "if they do this now, what will they do next year" ones really crack me up. Because, you know, it's not like there's any higher level of math, or anything.

And then there's the implication that it is somehow worse to be learning nothing in a higher grade than to be learning nothing in a lower grade. crazy

J
    J
    Originally Posted by no5no5
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    All of these "if they do this now, what will they do next year" ones really crack me up. Because, you know, it's not like there's any higher level of math, or anything.

And then there's the implication that it is somehow worse to be learning nothing in a higher grade than to be learning nothing in a lower grade. crazy

And once you get out into the REAL world, you ONLY work with people YOUR age...

N
    N
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    My favorite, which has been said over and over to me many times by school officials and random people on the streets:

Grade skipping him now at age 5 (at the time) may cause a problem when he's 15 and all his classmates are 16 and getting their licenses.

Awesome.
    This is what my dd's kindergarten teacher told me, when trying to convince me to hold her back (forget about skipping)! My dd makes the cut-off date by a day, thus is the youngest in her class.

I love that random people on the street feel free to 'set you straight'!

We have heard that ALL GT people have social issues (this might be news to some gt folks who get along great with others...) Granted, my ds9 does have social issues, but my dd seems to be a social butterfly...and I do alright too.

B
    B
    "Grade skipping him now at age 5 (at the time) may cause a problem when he's 15 and all his classmates are 16 and getting their licenses"

oh, I am tired of hearing that comment as well...I heard it from DS7's First Grade teacher as well when we gave her the full psych's report that stated he needed 1, possibly 2 grade skips in math and reading. When talking with a friend the other day, this topic came up and she said the exact same thing. How do they know!

Originally Posted by Belle
    "Grade skipping him now at age 5 (at the time) may cause a problem when he's 15 and all his classmates are 16 and getting their licenses"
    You could try saying- with a straight face - well, everything is within walking distance at most universities anyway, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Or - if you are just 'fed up' try:

Well, everything at Harvard is within walking distand anyway, so I don't think it will be a problem.

I guess I've used up my portion of snark for the week, but it did feel pretty good.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    I'm diverting a little so hope you don't mind...

In my son's K screen that decided he was lacking in motor skills like catching a ball.

At the time, he was skiing black diamonds among his other sports and hanging with the better crowd in ability. What's with that?

I posted in the brag thread about a girl who soloed in a plane when she was 12.

A lot of farm kids drive farm machinery and trucks on highways when they are her age or younger.

A
    A
    Ok, well, first let me say I'm not a gifted parent. I am a gifted student. I am in high school (unhappily might I add). I get so unbearably bored in all of my classes. Honestly, the way my school system works it seems like they're trying to force me to just give up and say screw my future and my life for I am a gifted student who gets bored in all her classes and gets straight A's. I don't know HOW I force myself to complete any assignment day after day at the torturous facility oozing with annoying people who refrain from understanding me. They are all blissfully ignorant of anything for gifted students and believe that AP classes will satisfy us. They could never have been more wrong. It's not that I need MORE work. Oh, gosh, no. I am such a procrastinator and indubitably lazy. They don't understand that I need to do things that interest me, or they could at least track the classes so I could move at swifter pace without my need to spend all but probably about one or one and a half of my hours at school drawing, writing stories, crating theories of the world, reading and entertaining myself in any way possible. I learn everything I need to at this school within about an hour and a half or possibly less. I spend exceedingly grand amounts of time just waiting for others to "get it." Anyway, I should probably stop here. I could go on all day ranting about the school system and how I, as a gifted student, feel about it.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM