Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    My 5 year old loves chemistry and really enjoys reading the Franny K. Stein series (leveled at 7-10 yrs). He's almost through reading all the books though and so I'm looking for anything else anyone would recommend for him. (We're also doing the Science 4 Kids Chemistry which he loves. ( www.gravitaspublications.com) You can view all the books and lab books etc online. They also have physics and biology at k-9th grade levels. Very cool.)
    I'd love to hear about any thing related to chemistry he might like or, even just things your kids may have loved at this age...

C
    C
    Oh yay!!! Another Franny K. Stein lover!!! My daughter just turned 5 and she absolutely LOVES the series...Totally relates to Franny, which is wonderful. She had a playdate over the other day...With wide-eyes and excitement she asked her friend, "Do you want to pet my deceased dragonfly and look for its 20,000 lenses???"...Her friend looked at her really weird and said, "Um no, but do you want to play house or barbies???" Sigh...It so reminded me of a Franny experience...Thanks for the Science 4 Kids tip. I will look into it smile

I
    I
    They are old, but the Danny Dunn series still have a lot of charm.

C
    C
    Hi Jenafur, I have a chemistry-mad 6yo DS. His latest love is actually particle physics, which if you think about it is an obvious next step after loving the periodic table... He's enjoyed Russell Stannard's Uncle Albert and the Quantum Quest just recently (mostly about wave particle duality really); not a book, but we all watched the Great Courses particle physics course together:
    http://www.greatcourses.co.uk/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1247
    [there is a US site for this but I've lost it; and in case you don't know, never buy from this company except in a sale, everything comes round regularly!] - I mention this since it might not be obvious that it's accessible to a 5 or 6yo, but it really is. (We do also have their High School Chemistry course, but have not got into it - we were both very put off by the opening lecture that goes on and on about how you of course think science is boring, when neither of us does think that!)

Back to books, I also recommend the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Chemistry - lots of stuff in it, clearly presented with loads of illustrations. (It's not a dictionary really.)
    A molecule building kit to go with this is fantastic; DS has an Orbit set which keeps getting added to.

Sorry, only two books in amid a lot of stuff that wasn't what you asked for!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Cecilia,
    *laughs* Loved your post, sounds like my son too! I wish he had a friend like your daughter. DS had his 6 year old cousin over the other day and DS was so excited to show him all his chemistry things he got for Christmas. "Do you want to see me beakers and flasks and my test tubes?!" He runs around collecting them and puts on his "lab coat" (a white dress shirt my husband gave him), telling his cousin all about his experiments and how they should do experiments together etc. while his cousin completely ignored everything he was saying and doing, and played with my sons toys. I had to take DS aside, because he was getting frustrated with his cousins lack of interest, or even response. I said "Hey, I'm sorry but, everyone isn't as excited about chemistry and science as you are. When you have a friend over, sometimes you have to do what they like." He looked at me confused and seemed not to be able to comprehend that anyone wouldn't love all this stuff. I reminded him of Franny and how the kids in her class didn't understand Franny either. He seemed to understand better with that explaination.
    His cousin is in the habit of ignoring DS though. DS talks so much, and about stuff he doesn't care about so he's almost programmed on ignore a lot of the time with DS. The weird thing is DS really loves to be with him.

Thanks also ColinsMum,
    We'll have to check out the particle physics when we get our internet back. I have to borrow internet (that's why I took so long to reply, that and I homeschool DS)

I reserved the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Science, since my library didn't have the chemistry one, but it looks like it has some chemistry too. We'll have to put the chemistry one on his Amazon wishlist.
    : )

J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I'm also looking into the Danny Dunne Series too Intparent, thanks, i remember liking those books as a kid too.

C
    C
    Do you think that he might like this book? It is very visually appealing and has good info about the elements. I've also found it at Barnes & Noble if you want to take a look at it in person.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Jenafur
    I reserved the Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Science, since my library didn't have the chemistry one, but it looks like it has some chemistry too. We'll have to put the chemistry one on his Amazon wishlist.
    Ah - there is an Usborne book which is just their chemistry, biology and physics illustrated dictionaries all stuck together in one pair of covers - if that's what you've got, and it may be, then getting the chemistry one won't add anything.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    W
    W
    My daughter loves the science series by Basher--the chemistry one is Periodic Table: Elements with Style! There are also biology, physics and astronomy volumes, and a new one just came out on geology. They're heavy on humour, so a very science-oriented kid might find them simplistic. Link is http://www.amazon.com/Basher-Period...p;s=books&qid=1266107006&sr=1-1.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by westcoastmom
    My daughter loves the science series by Basher
    Yes, those are great kids books.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years