Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    I have read that often times gifted kids have excellent memories.

I am wondering if any of you have a child who has an unusually strong retention of dates?

I will give you an example from this week in the car...

Me: I can't believe it's February already!

dd5: I know. Isn't it funny that the people in Florida will be putting their seeds in the ground on February 25th and we have to wait until May 25th?

Me: Oh - were you studying that today at school?

dd5: No, remember from the map on the back of the packet when we bought our seeds?

That was last Spring.

Then, a few minutes later, out of the blue...

dd5: Remember when we were driving home from Nana's house last March 13th and it started snowing so hard? We were really surprised.

Me: Ummm..

I don't even bother checking her dates anymore because they're always spot-on. She has been like this ever since I can remember. She understood the concept of time, days of the week, calendar, etc. very young. I remember when she was 2-years-old she told me that a favorite uncle had come to visit on a Tuesday. That had happened 4-months earlier.

I hesitate to call it an obsession with dates because it seems effortless for her to recall them.

Me, I need to look at my phone to see what the date is today crazy

Can anyone else relate?

O
    O
    That's amazing. start writing some of these examples down with his age (and the date might be good-LOL)

My DH and his mother tend to be really good with years. I can ask DH when anything significant happened and he knows the year. This has always amazed me but your story - wow!

I hope someone here knows more. I'm interested too.

C
    C
    Totally can relate!!! My ds, who by the way, tested not to be gifted, has been able to tell us (since hes been around age 5 or so) what random day falls on what month/date in say....I don't know, the year 2013, 2020, etc...??? And the kid gets it right every single time!!! It blows my husband and I away. Ds11 has always had an amazing memory for dates, facts, etc...But oddly enough, not tested gifted??? He's the one I would have bet money on...Hit all the Ruf level 3/4's...Strange. Now that's another story...lol

B
    B
    I have a horrible memory for dates but, my little sister has always amazed me. She would say 'remember when (x) happened' and I would say 'no' and she would say 'yeah remember it was Wednesday and it was raining and you had on the yellow shirt' etc. It will get down to where it was something that happened like ten years ago. It is nuts.

L
    L
    I actually had a funny conversation with one of my professors today who could remember dates like that. Both DC18 and I unnerve people sometimes with our abilities to recall events on a particular day as well.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Cecilia
    Totally can relate!!! My ds, who by the way, tested not to be gifted, has been able to tell us (since hes been around age 5 or so) what random day falls on what month/date in say....I don't know, the year 2013, 2020, etc...??? And the kid gets it right every single time!!! It blows my husband and I away. Ds11 has always had an amazing memory for dates, facts, etc...But oddly enough, not tested gifted??? He's the one I would have bet money on...Hit all the Ruf level 3/4's...Strange. Now that's another story...lol

There's an actual term for someone who can do this with dates. I was watching a special on it once, about twins who loved Dick Clark. Can't recall the other "issues" that the girls had been diagnosed with, but you could ask them what day 3/12/1809 was on, and they would know, not even being alive them. I'll have to research what it's called.

Savants... but it says that the person/child would have a disorder too... so nevermind.

Last edited by JJsMom; 02/11/10 09:18 AM.
    My DD6 has a thing with dates, but not the same way that you are describing. She likes to know everyones birthday. Started when she desided it was time she learned the months of the year (she was almost 3) She would look at the calendar starting with January and ask "who has a birthday in January?" and would go through all the months and then do it over again, and over again. She still knows everyones birthday and it's really nice because she reminds me when one of my in-laws birthdays are coming up. smile

Cecelia, I would be curious what sort of testing was done for your ds's....

O
    O
    I hope these will make you laugh, but I might expect some to roll their eyes...

I use to remember what I wore to every occassion. I'm not gifted but thought this was amazing. Since motherhood and decline in waredrobe I have lost this gift. Infact, I would rather not even think about it.

C
    C
    Thanks JJsMom for the savant possibility...Interesting. Of course all morning I've been researching savants and calendical calculation!!! Hahaha...Well, I'm not thinking it fits ds. Most savants seem so extreme and are usually autistic or with some nervous/brain disorder which ds does not have....But still it IS intriguing. Now that ds is 11 and is focused on other interests, I don't see him using calendaring as much. Although now he is a complete nut memorizing baseball stats/facts...Hmmmm....When he comes home from school, I'll have to "quiz" him to see if the calendaring is still there Lol. Funny, I was looking back on a journal of observations I had written about ds. He was age 8. I had written that he had memorized all the presidents in order, all the capitals, landmarks and exact location, and is currently memorizing all the worlds countries/capitals/landmarks/locations and every countries/states/cities populations. Is this a "normal" regular kid thing??? Gifted kid thing??? Something else??? Do your kids do this??? We just have always loved his passion of learning and had never thought of it as anything else smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM