Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    Anne4 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I am trying to figure out something for my DS8 to do to sub for regular math at school. The school is supportive. He is okay with language arts in his normal classroom, so it would just be for math.

Initial plan was to have him go with advanced third grade students this year. The scheduling didn't work and then his 2nd grade teacher (who normally teaches higher grades) said it was clear that one or two grades would not be enough anyway. So, he is still staying with 2nd graders now. They have tried giving him some different stuff, but it has never actually been very close to challenging enough to satisfy him. He has a basket of some games (good level for him - fraction/decimal 24 and math dice and some worksheets from a book from home that he likes). He mostly plays those games during the regular math time. He is happy with the games, but said he really would rather be learning something new.

I finally just asked if he could do a distance learning class during math time instead of any other math. The teachers seem happy to do that and said he could either do that full time or part time and participate in certain projects that they might do if he or I decide that he should do that instead.

I was thinking probably EPGY or CTY. Does anyone have experience and know whether either could be done some at school and some at home? I was planning to sign him up at home and manage it from here, but when I looked into them I get the impression that he would need to do it all from one computer. If that is the case, then I guess I could have him work on the class at home and then print pages to send in with him, although I would really rather him be able to work on the regular class some there also. He tends to be really spacey with stuff and also switches around math teachers some, so I think I really need to be mainly in charge of things at least at his current age to make sure it all works.

He just got accepted into DYS, so this is something that I will ask once we have a FC, but thought hopefully someone here would have experience and wouldn't mind sharing. I wanted to try to set it up soon if possible in case it takes some time to get going. I am hoping that he will switch over to the full time gifted center next year, so would love to find something that works before starting over with another school. (I know from experience with my older DS that the math there won't really work either.)

Thanks so much!

D
    D
    Anne, type "EPGY" in the little search box up in the left corner... you'll see quite a few recent discussions on this subject.

CTY uses (resells) the EPGY program, so the two are identical through 6th grade. At that point, CTY splits off & uses (primarily?) Thinkwell from pre-algebra onward.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    C
    C
    I'm not sure about using it in class or not but he can definitely use EPGY on different computers. We use it through Open Enrollment and have used it on several different computers with no issues. I don't know if it would be different if not using Open Enrollment though.

T
    T
    My DS7 does CTY now. We do have the option to do it during school time. We haven't done it yet for these reasons.

1- I like to see where he struggles and where he doesn't. I like to see what he needs to practice on.
    2-I really really think the other parents would be jealous and therefore the kids might not be friends with him.
    3-I don't want him to be different. Although my husband keeps pointing out he is different.
    4-His current school is teaching some math differently than he has learned in the past. So I don't want him to miss learning different ways to do things.
    5-I am hoping next year the work will be better and he won't need to do CTY at all. (He skipped 1st and is now doing 3rd grade with CTY) So maybe in Sept when he is in 3rd grade we will not need it. It is not cheap $200 a month for what you get I dk if it is really worth it.

UGH UGH so so confused. So for now he does it at home.

M
    M
    Yes CTY resells EPGY, the Open Enrollment Program is the same online materials without the teacher, and a few other exceptions like homework access and certification. It is HUGE savings. The basic program runs $135 a year for math and LAW. I haven't seen next years pricing schedule yet but I haven't heard of any changes. The current year runs through May 31st and is pro rated right now.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    O
    O
    melmichigan- would you think the open erollment is for students that are homeschooled or have a teacher to help? Or could this be used by a student attending school who is very self motivated.

A
    Anne4 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks everyone!

Traceygns - Thanks so much for your reasons. Last year, he did not do anything differently at school for pretty much those reasons. However, by this year he really is so far ahead that he is not learning anything from what they are teaching (it is off by 4 grade levels at least) and I don't mind that he is seen as different. Any kids who care about that stuff have noticed that he is different (strengths and weaknesses both - he is not all that strong with language arts and is super disorganized, so often gets help from classmates with keeping papers straight, spelling words and following directions). He seems okay with friends either way - not his strongest area, but he is not isolated either. A couple of kids likely will be jealous. That was the biggest concern, but he is having so much trouble with focus at school, I decided to try anyway.

melmichigan - When we were snowed in last week, I went ahead and had him try aleks since it is so inexpensive and I knew he could sign on easily from home and class. He tested at 89% complete on 6th grade - worked on it a bit and now is at 95%. He mostly had geometry and measurement to learn. He did it one day at school - his only day back after the snow - and really loved having something more interesting for himself.

I anticipate him finishing this in the next couple of days. So, then my question is whether to sign him up for pre-algebra with aleks or to try EPGY - open enrollment sounds pretty good - or even with CTY. If I did EPGY, does anyone have advice on what the appropriate class might be? I was guessing something like pre-algebra.

Thanks again!

M
    M
    The EPGY program would default set him at 6.5. You could then see how he does. My DD10 was beginning ALEKS 6th and we put her all the way back to 4.5 and had her come forward because she didn't retain well with ALEKS compared to how she is doing with EPGY. The best suggestion would be to check the scope and sequence and just see how he does. I think Dandy or another parent here has commented recently on transitioning their child at this level from ALEKS to EPGY? My DD does very well with math but doesn't have the passion that some of the other kids here have, it is a means to an end for her, science is her passion and she has to have the math for that. I also use EPGY as a supplement because we homeschool so that paces us a little differently then those that use it as a main program. My DD started 6th the second week of January and uses it an average of three times a week for the lowest setting and she is around half way through right now. I'm sure it is taking her longer than many other kids on this forum would take, smile but just to give you an idea of pacing. Suggested pacing according to EPGY is 2.5 quarters per course. wink

EPGY is designed to be run independently by the student. It is actually counterproductive for a parent to work on new concepts in tandem with the student. Students are encouraged to work through the lecture and problems independently and the parent or teacher is there if a problem arises that a student needs additional help, such as replaying missed problems and providing additonal details to help students obtain the listed skill.

EPGY is often used independently in schools by students who are working ahead of grade level. It is used by districts as a supplement to current curriculum and by homeschoolers as a main program or as a supplement. For more information on use you can visit the website under FAQ's.

smile HTH.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    T
    T
    4 grades ahead is a lot. I know it is sad to think he is not learning any new math in class. My ds7 just said to me recently "I can't do it anymore" the same stuff over and over again. They have had 5 tests on addition.

I know what you mean by super disorganized !
    The "absent minded" professors LOL

I must sharpen 4 pencils everyday. He just doesn't know what happens to them UGH.
    But he will never lose a single lego piece.

O
    O
    Originally Posted by melmichigan
    My DD does very well with math but doesn't have the passion that some of the other kids here have, it is a means to an end for her, science is her passion and she has to have the math for that.

just a thought incase someone is interested. There is some Math programs that combine Math and Science. I may have read this in Developing Math Talent,(not really sure).

I would love to see my kids get into something like this. Hmmm We are about to propose some ideas for next year.

A
    Anne4 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Yes - he is pretty much the absent minded professor and has been for a long time. On the same day that he completed aleks level 6 (in 2nd grade after working on it on his own for 1 week), he forgot a form to participate in a school activity. His teacher asked him to call me to ask if I could bring in the form quickly.

DS8 always has trouble on the phone. According to his teacher - DS8 dialed the number - then listened for a bit, said okay a couple of times and then hung up. His teacher asked what I said and DS8 told him "she said she would call me back". His teacher said that it didn't make any sense for me to say I would call my son back at school so he called back and got the answering machine. Apparently my poor son thought he was talking to me and just got all confused. (We have been debating an auditory processing test - seems like more evidence that something could be a little off in this respect.)

I guess the good thing is that he was so happy about finishing his pie with aleks that he didn't really care about the missing form!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM