Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    no5no5, very interesting article! Thanks for posting the link.

R
    R
    This is a great picture of the dichotomy we're often faced with as parents of gifted kiddos! I know that with my 16-mth old, I come across a similar issue in almost every interaction. Take a restaurant lunch experience, for example: he is so small and so very much still a baby that people stop and stare at him wherever we go, as he speaks in full sentences, never forgets a name once he's associated it with a face, and quite obviously understands so much of what is happening around him.

Still, he's just a baby, really, and has baby wants and desires. So, he'll point to the tiny plastic sign at the end of our booth and say, "I want sign please, to bang!" And if you give him the sign, he will smile in devious delight like any other little boy his age and smash it against the table. The difference between my son and most other 16-mth olds is that he externally verbalizes his internal conversation, saying things like, "I bang the sign! I bang it! BANG! Bang, BANG!"

It rather reminds me of those Far Side cartoons where we can suddenly understand what dogs are trying to say...and they're really just saying, "Hey! Hey, hey!"

N
    N
    Originally Posted by Roni
    This is a great picture of the dichotomy we're often faced with as parents of gifted kiddos! I know that with my 16-mth old, I come across a similar issue in almost every interaction. Take a restaurant lunch experience, for example: he is so small and so very much still a baby that people stop and stare at him wherever we go, as he speaks in full sentences, never forgets a name once he's associated it with a face, and quite obviously understands so much of what is happening around him.

Still, he's just a baby, really, and has baby wants and desires. So, he'll point to the tiny plastic sign at the end of our booth and say, "I want sign please, to bang!" And if you give him the sign, he will smile in devious delight like any other little boy his age and smash it against the table. The difference between my son and most other 16-mth olds is that he externally verbalizes his internal conversation, saying things like, "I bang the sign! I bang it! BANG! Bang, BANG!"

It rather reminds me of those Far Side cartoons where we can suddenly understand what dogs are trying to say...and they're really just saying, "Hey! Hey, hey!"

That's hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. grin

Originally Posted by Roni
    Take a restaurant lunch experience, for example: he is so small and so very much still a baby that people stop and stare at him wherever we go, as he speaks in full sentences, never forgets a name once he's associated it with a face, and quite obviously understands so much of what is happening around him.

Still, he's just a baby, really, and has baby wants and desires.

This is so true!

Mr W (24 mos) is the same way. He is so cooperative, helping around the house, telling us what he wants, calling people by their name, etc.

Until he gets tired and will not use his words. He just reverts. Then, it is meltdown city!! WAAAAAAH!!! WAAAAH! WAAAH!

And there are funny things, too. Such as at school the other day. They laid out the snack, on a plate in front of him, something he did not like. So he gets up and throws it away and goes and gets a book!!

Originally Posted by amazedmom
    Sounds like my DD except for the dinos, dd loves them. I thin this is what they mean by asyncronus development.

Mr W chases me around the house with his dino books. If I won't read them to him for the 10th time, he goes nuts. WAAAAH! WAAAAH! WAAAH!!

Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    I will never forget her scaring me to death before she was two, by trying to run in a parking lot.

Mr W took off in Bass Pro Shop last week and just disappeared. He can run really fast and just blends in with the clothes displays. He was stopped at the door by an employee. DW was SOOO upset. This is our biggest fear for him. He is very cautious with most things, but for some reason, he throws his caution to the wind on this.

Last edited by Austin; 02/06/10 08:24 PM.
    R
    R
    Oh, I love it! Too cute!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets