Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #68080 02/04/10 04:40 AM
    V
    venture Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    I've been lurking on the forum for a few weeks and finally decided to register blush. I wanted to post as an introduction since I think I'll probably be spending quite a bit of time on the board, and also to get some feedback. Long story short, after a discouraging first year in kindergarten, where our son was continually disciplined for being too distracted, too talkative, too disruptive and too silly, we decided to pull him out of his highly regarded but very disciplined and structured school, and enroll him in our local public school. It was a very difficult decision because as much as we believe that the old environment wasn't a good fit for him, we hated the thought of our little guy having to start over again in a new school. Because of the discipline issues at school, we visited an educational psychologist over holiday break to rule out any learning issues. After testing with the WPPSI (he was 5.11 years), we were advised that he has a full scale score of 147 including the 116 processing score, and a pro rated score of 153 not including the processing speed score (the psych thought he might have had some perfection issues). I guess after reading all the posts on this forum I am just a little lost. The psych said that any discipline issues at school are most likely related to him tuning out and being bored. Our quandary is that we find it difficult to see how he could be bored, since from what we've seen he hasn't excelled at the material that is being offered. His vocabulary is amazing, and he can read, but at an average level similar to his classmates. He resists reading on his own, especially if it has more complex words than he is used to. I was trying "you read one page and I'll read one page" on more complicated books, but he stopped wanting anything to do with reading so I stopped that technique. I've tried playing some fun online math programs with him but he just groans and flops on the floor. However, he loves science. He makes up his own experiments and designs his own mazes. He thinks out of the box and asks incredibly thought provoking questions - but the academics have us boggled. We talked to his new teacher and thankfully she sounds like she on the same page, wanting to use positive reinforcement and keep it fun. He is an enthusiastic learner - but only what he is interested in. I guess my question is, could his first year have soured him? Or, have all the kids reading at super high levels and doing advanced math always been interested and self motivated in these subjects? Prior to entering school he never had any interest in reading on his own, and we never pushed it. We want him to be happy and well adjusted. We also want him to be confident and comfortable with taking chances. Thanks if you've read this far - any thoughts?

Welcome Venture!

As the fellow parent to a silly, disruptive bored DS I understand your frustration. It sounds like your DS knows what he likes to do and that is great! It may be that he simply isn't that excited about reading yet but I imagine when he realizes that reading will open up a whole new world to him within his interest that may change. Since math is the "language" of science that may come along as well.

CFK #68093 02/04/10 07:32 AM
    K
    K
    I find DS6 isn't one to push himself either, I think it's a perfectionism thing and I can understand how frustrating it is. It also has led me to doubt whether the gifted thing is really there but I do see it when he wants to.

On the science note he loves, loves, loves The Magic School Bus books, he's been into them since he's turned four. He's also a science fiend which has been frustrating for kindergarten since they have very little science. The MSB books come at different levels from phonics readers to chapter books. What we've read the most are the ones in between. He'd sit for ours and listen to those things. I can't recommend them enough, especially for a science lover. You could get him the leveled readers or you could read him the TV books or the classic books, which are the original books and more in depth.

My son did read early but he resits because he's intimidated. I think kids, boys especially, are nervous about having too many words on a page. I think it's a perfectionism thing, they're afraid they can't read that many words and hesistate to try. My son has been able to read chater books for a good year now but he doesn't because he sees the extra words.

CFK #68094 02/04/10 07:34 AM
    Hi and Welcome!

I, too, wouldn't worry much at this point. It will come for him. It is not unheard of, especially for a perfectionist, to not want to walk/talk/read until they feel completely competent. This may be the case with your DS. Also, your DS may simply have the perception that school is supposed to be only fun, not work. He is 6, afterall! And even if he's not yet producing high-level work, his brain IS working at a higher level than most. Now, if you are worried that there is some reason other than normal development that is keeping him from working at a higher level, then keep it in the back of your mind for a while. He is working at grade level, you said, so there is no big hurry to define anything at this point.

Since he does have an interest in science, I would focus on that outside of school and then try to incorporate reading and writing and math into your science explorations. If you're doing an experiment, have him read the instructions (with your help), make a checklist of supplies as he gathers them, and add or subtract amounts. If you're about to go on a nature hike, have him read about the season or the place you're going or specific plants and animals, have him take or draw pictures and label them, have him add up all the animals he sees. You get the point . . . . Make reading, writing, and math worth his time and effort. But, if he fights you, feel free to let it go and just enjoy the fun for now.

She thought she could, so she did.
    O
    O
    Many times if I start doing something the kids will just join in. If I sit down to paint they will come over and see what I'm doing and then want to do it too. This is a good way to get them into learning something. They are also taking charge of learning this way.

Last summer, I was hoping the kids would do journals. I got them cool notebooks and summer stickers. They did nothing. This summer, I plan to just start working on a family journal for the summer. I predict they will take an interest in what I'm doing and either add to the journal or ask to make their own. I will keep it very fun. No correcting errors unless they ask and include drawings. I plan to make a brainstorming list of ideas in the front of my journal - drawing, stickers, flyers from museums, nature siteing, made up stories, events of the day, ect. I will also include a list of things I would like to do this summer - like go throw rock at the river. I will ask if they can help me come up with ideas.

Hope this helps

Last edited by onthegomom; 02/04/10 08:13 AM.
    C
    C
    We have a child, too, who tests much higher on IQ and individual achievement tests than how she performs in school. It does leave my head spinning at times wondering if she is really that able b/c she sure doesn't appear to be in school much of the time.

In our instance, the issue is further confounded by an older dd who outperforms what we would expect given her MG IQ scores from age 7. In our older dd's instance, I think that her IQ scores were probably a bit of an underestimation, though.

I don't know that I have any answers for you, but do want to welcome you smile! Your ds is still very young, though, so it may take time to see what he can really do academically and his areas of interest just may not line up with those things that generally get recognition in school.

L
    L
    Hi! I'm new to the board as well. My 8 year old son was not an early reader but he made incredible gains in second grade. He is now reading at a 5th grade level. We had to search for books that he was interested in (Legos, Star Wars) and then he just took off. He also enjoyed the Magic School Bus book series. Now, he is facinated with books about outer space and robotics. We found a science workbook that is full of short science experiments and he loves this as well.

Hope this gives you a few ideas! Welcome!

E
    E
    Welcome venture and Laura6179 !!!

This is a great board. And you are contributing already. I am really enjoying this particular thread.

sounds like my ds 5.5 as well! holding back on reading, overwhelmed by too many words on a page. A good reminder that these kids are asynchronous and puts my denial in contxt.

on the math front for example, he has a clear grasp on multiplication, but he doesn't know the whole times table yet. Usually brings it up when he is ready. Now isn't multiplication usually taught in 2nd/3rd grade?

Anyway, I agree with the previous suggestion to incorporate the math, spelling, writing reading etc. into what his favorite activities are.

Cheers!

- Monifa

V
    venture Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, it sounds like I need to just need to keep encouraging his interests and wait patiently for the rest to follow.

He's been interested in how electricity works, so maybe I'll get some books and have him figure out a way to work some academics into it. Maybe have him start keeping his own science journal with ideas.

The Egghead books look great, we have some books by Raintree that he;s enjoyed so we'll check Egghead out. We do have some of the Magic Schoolbus books that he has really enjoyed, but shows no interest in reading on his own, yet.

Thanks again!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM