Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Septmember:
    cut, paste, color fall foliage
    letter sounds worksheet, handwriting practice
    color patterns

October
    cut, paste, color pumpkins
    letter sounds worksheet, handwriting practice
    shape patterns

November:
    cut, paste, color turkeys
    letter sounds worksheet,handwriting practice
    colored shape patterns

December & January:
    cut, paste, color snowmen
    letter sounds worksheet,CVC words, handwriting practice
    number patterns

February:
    cut, paste, color hearts and groundhogs
    letter sounds worksheet,CVC words,handwriting practice
    Eureka!!! smile addition. 1-9, Sums up to 10. oh. frown

cut, paste, color
    cut, paste, color
    cut, paste, color
    cut, paste, color
    cut, paste, color
    cut, paste, color
    cut, paste, color
    cut, paste, color

I feel your pain. frown

Kriston
    K
    K
    Eeek ... I'm starting to think DS's kindergarten experience was absolutely wonderful.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    thanks Kriston an MoN. I feel better knowing I am not the only parent pained by this. The parents of the kids in my ds' class don't seem to mind!

And MoN - ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are at a new school since January and just got our first paperbag puppet (for this school) yesterday!

Ground hog paper bag puppet!!

color,
    cut,
    paste to paper bag
    repeat

(LOLOLOLOL)

at least my ds is not as frustrated as I am. yet. I don't know how we are both going to make it until June.

Last edited by EastnWest; 02/03/10 12:22 PM. Reason: added
    yes, yes

color, paste, pour, go home do times tables
    color, paste, pour, go home and read a book
    color, paste, pour, go home and do a science experiment with sister

it's all about balance

Ours are all about cutting out the lines of silly little songs that have been printed out in the wrong order and then pasting them on paper in the right order. Cut, paste, then color, in that order.

*sigh*

I keep wondering what we're going to do next year...

Kriston
    M
    M
    I'm impressed you got addition in there, with sums through 10, no less.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by melmichigan
    I'm impressed you got addition in there, with sums through 10, no less.

thank you. at least we got a tiny bit of improvement from the first school. less kids(20 insitead of 25), less discipline required (red-yellow-green card system was stressing ds out even though he usually stayed on green) AND thankfully, addition.

The first day they introduced the new unit Ms. Regular Teacher was out sick. My ds came home beaming and reported that the substitute let them do math!

"Mommy, Mrs. Sub gave us addition and subtraction! I got them all right, even the hard ones. This is the best day of my whole life!"

It is the little things in life that warms a mother's heart.

C
    C
    Oh nooooooo!!!!!!! Dd5 will be starting kindergarten in the fall, and I'm already stressing about it frown I'm having flashbacks of Ds11's kindergarten teacher "expressing concern" that Ds didn't know the "B" sound and that "He might not be ready for kindergarten"........I had to bring in worksheets that he had done at a year old to prove to her that he DID know every single sound. She STILL wasn't convinced and didn't realize he was completely tuning her out....Oh the memories!!! I do know what my daughter is capable of but am not too sure if I want to spend the $$$ on IQ testing, though I know that is what will help our case....Ugh....Husband will probably freak if I do it lol Wondering if any of you showed any of your childrens work from home and if that helped get any type of acceleration??? I know I should probably just talk with g/t coordinator, though she doesn't accomodate until 3rd grade ( unless I guess, "extreme cases"...Whatever that means!)Do any of you ever feel like you are ALWAYS asking for more and feel like you're being a pain in the rear??? Our school has accomodated Ds9 so much, and I guess I'm just feeling like I shouldn't be so greedy, though I know it's the right thing to do for my Dd....Sigh, why does this advocating stuff always seem so tiring???

Originally Posted by Cecilia
    I know I should probably just talk with g/t coordinator, though she doesn't accomodate until 3rd grade ( unless I guess, "extreme cases"...Whatever that means!)Do any of you ever feel like you are ALWAYS asking for more and feel like you're being a pain in the rear??? Our school has accomodated Ds9 so much, and I guess I'm just feeling like I shouldn't be so greedy, though I know it's the right thing to do for my Dd....Sigh, why does this advocating stuff always seem so tiring???

Your DD, it sounds like, is an "extreme case" probably! But, I totally get what you mean about being a pain in the rear. Our school was so good with DD8 about early K entrance and then subject acceleration and then grade-skipping, and then I went and asked them to let DS6 skip K, and I feel like they've probably had enough of me! To be fair, though, they've never shown any annoyance with me and we've never had to fight too hard. Still, my DS6 is able to do math 1-2 years above grade level and is reading at a mid-3rd grade level, and for some reason I'm hesitant to suggest subject acceleration for him, even though I did for our DD. It's not that I think he can't handle it socially since he routinely plays with kids several years older than him and he clearly needs the challenge, it's really that I hate always having to ask for more. I feel like a bit of a chicken just asking for in-class accomodations for work in his free-time (because he gets all his other work done so quickly)!

She thought she could, so she did.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...