Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 350 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    S
    S
    Thanks Grinity,

New school year for all starts next Feb.....so kids enter new grade then. My son would have to either have Year 7 (next year)in a new school, then move on to High School (Year 8) the next year, at another new school; or grade skip straight to high school (Year 8) next year.

He has lost all confidence this year in his abilities, and is scared of a grade skip. He too wants to "straighten his teacher out" next year, and thinks he can win her around and change her! They are both as stubborn as each other I say, and she will not change. Well, he won't either.

I am still not keen on 2 school changes over the next 2 years. Over the years, he has struggled socially at school at times, and takes a long time to form friendships. At the moment I am leaning towards somehow trying to home school him next year, then into high school the year after. However, I will talk to the head teacher at the current school first. The teacher in charge of "behaviour management" in the middle school has talked to my son recently (my son gets on well with him by the way), and said that he believes that "the home teacher is contributing to the situation" (hallelejah!), and he was planning to talk to her about it (he witnessed one of the recent screaming incidents at my son in the hall). So, I will give the school a chance to make some kind of move for next year.

However, the homeschool option is becoming the fallback option, as a skip to 8, although a good option, is very unlikely to occur.

Thanks

Steph

I'm praying for you, Steph, that things line up just right, and perhaps the 'behaviour management' teacher can help push for the skip at the private school as a 'least-worst' option.

Given the way the teacher and your son have 'locked' in to their positions, I feel that you MUST step in to change something.

As for the double transition, this is exactly what we worried about, and exactly what seems to be working well for our son, (so far)

There is certianly nothing wrong with homeschooling for next year.

You know, at the private school, DS in 7th was a straight B student, and when we considered the move back to public, he begged us to 'decelerate him' on the grounds that 'now that he knows what it's like to be challenged, he really really wants to be with his friends again.' and 'now that he's older, he won't act out in class due to bordom.'

We did seriously consider it. Then a few weeks later, DS did well on a few 'multi-month' projects that got handed in, and magically his academic confidence returned, and by the last few weeks of school, he was fine with 'not decelerating' and I was SO glad that I had stuck to my perspective about 'not decelerating.'

Turns out that 8th grade public school doesn't have 'multi-month' projects. Turns out that he got more mature over the summer. Right this minute, he seems to be in a place with smart 'like-minded' friends and stimulating assignments with less of a 'organizational skill building component.' Best news of all is that although next year the 2 middle schools will empty into one highschool, and be in a different building, he will already know half the kids. Further, since there are honors classes in all 5 core subjects at the high school, chances are that he is going to be seeing his lunch table group more and more during the day. ((happy dance))

Do most of the kids from your local public middle school go to one high school - or do they disperse? That might cushion the social changes, yes?

Are there active homeschool organizations near you? What will he do during the day? (You may want to start a need topic about homeschooling 8th grade)

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by SwitchedonMom
    To see an illustration of this phenomenon, you might want to take a look at this post on my blog: http://themorechild.wordpress.com/2008/12/15/more-history-7th-grade-part-5/

Sorry to jump in late here, I am a newbie. Reading this blog felt like I am reading DS4's future. I am horrified. He is 4 already on his way to punishments for not obeying the authority, no hitting, pushing, kicking, screaming, just not following directions and the bossy behavior thats what they say.

Originally Posted by stephanie
    New school year for all starts next Feb.....so kids enter new grade then. My son would have to either have Year 7 (next year)in a new school, then move on to High School (Year 8) the next year, at another new school; or grade skip straight to high school (Year 8) next year.
    Steph,
    How did it go?
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    S
    Having taught gifted students for 31 years, I have heard this statement from my students frequently. I have to remember that gifted people only make up 6% of the world population and this 6% has to deal with the other 94% who aren't gifted. Gifted people are 'wired' differently and have a strong desire/urge to learn and be challenged.
    Most teachers are not taught about gifted differences. They feel threatened when a mere child knows more than they do about many topics. In many cases, the teacher is not gifted and doesn't understand the way a gifted child acts/reacts to everything.
    In my opinion, only master's level teachers who are trained in gifted education should teach gifted students. It would help tremendously if the teacher was gifted, also. Gifted students should have their own schools where their academics and enrichment could be taught by understanding teachers.
    That negative attitude towards gifted students would disappear, I think.
    Hope this helps.

I've always hated applying the term "behavior" to children. We don't talk about adults in terms of "bad behavior" or "good behavior". I remember snapping at my principal once, saying I'd prefer to discuss my students in "terms we don't normally reserve for slaves and dogs". Got his attention.

Anyway, "behavior" (let's say "attitude" instead) is high up on the list of casualties of ordinary teachers' misunderstanding of giftedness. The idea seems to be that if a kid is that smart, they must have the brains to keep themselves in check. That's like giving a university professor a job on an assembly line and telling him that surely someone with a PhD is intelligent enough not to get bored.

Last edited by zhian; 11/12/09 06:52 AM.
    V
    V
    We are going to see the behvour clinic at a local hospital to find out if there are any twice exceptional issues. My son at 8 does this as well. They mention that he speaks with little affectation. At home he shows a lot of emotion in his speech. i think he is just bored with them and says things in a flat voice out of aggrevation that he even has to tell them. My round peg does not fit in the square and can really care less what the teachers think. I sometimes wonder if he is doing things purposefully to drive one of them nuts( Its only in her class that the weird noises start). This just freaks her out to no end.

"That's like giving a university professor a job on an assembly line and telling him that surely someone with a PhD is intelligent enough not to get bored."

WELL STATED!

Mother of DD7, DS5, and DS2
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    No one has mentioned that many (not all) Gifted Kids in school will not be able to hide their OverExcitabilities. In elememtary school age, I image that the teacher resent the extra time that it takes to deal with these OE's. Afterall, we love these kids, and we don't always like dealing with their OEs, right?

When I was growing up in my 'not-terribily-accepting-of-giftedness' family, my nickname was "PIA." I kind of liked it, because it perversely gave me permimssion to be my 'Lisa Simpson' self.

Grinity
    I agree with you completely. My own experience as a kid totally informs the way I choose to parent DD. I am far more patient with her OE's because I understand where it is coming from. My parents didn't so they beat me and punished me to try to "fix" me.

Love the nickname :-)

Originally Posted by gracies_mom
    My parents didn't so they beat me and punished me to try to "fix" me.

I'm sorry! frown

I had a similar experience.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM