Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (hiker), 211 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by JenSMP
    Great, now I have something else to worry about! ; )

My thoughts exactly!!!

Thanks for sharing this link rdr.
    I've known that many times gifted kids sleep more than average, but I've always heard it was because thinking and focusing burns calories. I've also heard that when learning another language you know you're getting it when you start dreaming in it.
    That is fascinating that kids spend 1/4 of the time they sleep processing what they've learned from short term to long term memory, and adults only 1/10th of the night. No wonder when I study something too much I start to dream about it.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    B
    B
    This is something I've been mulling over that pertains to the Nurtureshock book.

DS7 started doing algebra last year at age 6. He was good with it (at least the first several chapters of Ed Zacarro), but because we did very little formal math (he hated drills), he had gaps which were not addressed. I started to see a pattern of resistance when we had to go backwards to clarify earlier concepts because in his mind, he had moved on. I've always been careful how I speak to him and realized that perhaps, I had unwittingly made a subtle distinction and he had latched on to it.

I wonder how common this is with gifted kids. They have terrific conceptual ability especially at the higher level, and they're masters at reading parental nuances. So subconsciously, they latch on to the fact that "higher is better". Yes I was impressed by him and I wanted to encourage him with praise. But certainly, the outcome was not what I had in mind! He actually resisted learning what he needed. I ended up looking for tough questions at the early middle school level (there are so many Singapore Math challenging books to choose from, and some early Math Olympiad style ones). Luckily, that has succeeded in refocusing him from being grade (and frankly ego) focused to enjoying the thinking process again.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by inky
    I hear you Grinity. I couldn't find the paper cited but this article expands on it more than the book. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=beyond-iq-kids-who-can-focus-on-task-do-better-math

"Preschool curricula that focus on development of these skills and self-regulation are needed in a big way," Blair says. "There is a federal push to learn our numbers, our letters and our words, but a focus on the content, without a focus on the skills required to use that content, will end up with children being left behind."

Thanks for the article, Inky.

I'm curious what you guys see at home - do your kids have a great attention span for every area, or is it only for areas of special interest?

I sure would like DS to develop a good attention span across the board, but it's tough because his attention is extremely task specific. He can sit for hours building Lego and recently, Lego Robotics, doing math (particular workbooks only), and reading his science mags; that's about it. If something doesn't catch him, he doesn't bother and has zero bandwidth. I can't ever make him listen to me read books he has no interest in. His eyes will glaze over and in an instant, he's happily in his own world. I can imagine that's what he does at school when the teacher starts to speak!

Perhaps he's still young because I really hope his self regulation can spill over to other areas as he gets older. (I've received a few complaints from his teachers, so this issue is constantly at the back of my mind.)

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM