Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 135 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Has anyone here had experience with having their child learn to program? I do not mean Scratch etc. but programming such as C++ or other languages utilized by adults. Did your child self-teach? Did you find good resources? How old was your child when they began learning to program?

DS8 is a computer fiend and has been bugging me to find him a way to learn to do more on the computer - such as programming etc. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. smile

I like Python - it's sort of halfway-adult wink That is, there are materials for kids to learn, but DH is in the middle of a job search right now and it comes up in the lists of requirements too. (Which made me giggle - I told him if he needed to brush up on his Python skills he could ask DS... LOL)

DS(10) has been self-teaching with a book called Computer Programming Is Fun , which he really likes. I can't say much more about it since I've really just handed it over... but we got it from a friend with a slightly older kid who also really liked it... so there's two votes. smile

Erica
    C
    C
    Here's a possibly useful post and comments on a similar question concerning a 12yo - although if your DS8 is specifically wanting to avoid materials aimed at children, only some of it will be useful. I second the Python recommendation, as it's a serious language that just happens to be popular with kids too, as it were.
    http://blob.inf.ed.ac.uk/paul/2010/01/20/how-to-start-programming/

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    D
    D
    My daughter (15)is learning C++ through Gifted Learning links. It is a nine month hs honors level course with a requirement of 27 projects. There is at least one 12yo in her "class". It is a self study/self paced course so it could likely be completed in 6 months. DD made friends with another participant who helps her occasionally. I�m sure the teacher would help her too, but she hasn�t tried that resource yet. She doesn�t mind the course and is earning mostly 100s, but says she isn�t confident that she is learning much beyond what is required for each project.

It is good for her to become familiar with and comfortable introductory programming. I would guess she is picking up more than she realizes.

K
    K
    Thank you! DS9 took an Alice programming class this fall, but it seemed really basic for him. I think Python would be a great next step. Looks like a good resource and maybe a nice summer project!

The days when basic came with computers is long past. Sigh.

I would get him a computer of his own - parts that is. And a linux distro on CD with a book about linux. You can look on Amazon for some books on how to put together a PC.

And tell him to have fun.

The key to learning how to program is to want to do something with the computer. A class is a good thing to learn the formal stuff, but you have to want to figure stuff out. For me, I used a computer to create numerical methods for some questions I had. It was just a tool.

There are lots of free courses on line and you can have him audit courses at community colleges.

I started programming when I was 12 and walked into a class at a CC when I was 14.

OP Offline
    Great thanks guys. Never heard of Python but I will check it out!

B
    B
    My husband has been working with DS7 on programming and my son keeps coming up with really detailed ideas that just can't be done through SCRATCH. My husband uses Python and he has been trying to figure out a way to teach Python to our son and then this weekend we were at Barnes and Noble and picked up this awesome book called Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and other Beginners by Warren and Carter Sande. The author is a dad and his young son who was talked into writing the book by his wife because they were tired of trying to find resources to teach their child programming and coming up empty handed. My husband loves the book and it is broken down into easy steps on how to teach Python.

Another language to look at at a later date is LISP.

There are things you can do in LISP that you cannot do in others.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM