Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    The over $3,000 price tag makes me want to choke, but I am hoping we might qualify for financial aid. Does anyone have opinions or anecdotes to share on CTY camps?

tia!

Q
    Q
    Lorel,

This is what's known as too much information, and hopefully, not at all relevant for the younger kids:

http://www.realcty.org/mw/index.php?title=Main_Page

Just happened to find it in my google search and bookmarked it for future reference. Now, let's hear from someone who really knows. DS would love to take that be a scientist summer program, but we'd have to figure out where we'd stay and what to do with DH and DDg (that's the dog - don't know how to reference that one here...).

Look forward to reading responses from the parents here on their experiences, too!

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wow! That was interesting, to say the least. New kids are squirrels and they actually have reunions!?

Please folks, tell me more!

C
    C
    My daughter Yani wrote an essay on her experience in CTY summer camp a year ago. You may find it interesting.

http://www.thecommunityvoice.com/articles/2006/09/22/kids_and_pets/kids02.txt

$3000 for 3 weeks is certainly not cheap. But that is about the average price for summer residential program. You should always apply for financial aid. You don't know if you can get anything unless you try.

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Chenchuan-

Your daughter is lovely and it sounds as if she really enjoyed her CTY camp. Thank you so much for sharing her review!

Chenchuan - that's a great article!

Lorel - I wanted to mention that CTY Summer Courses are a way of geting some pre-req. down your belt so you can take more advanced classes in HS. It can be priceless :-)for some kids.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Chenchuan,

I loved your daughter's essay. How wonderful! I really wanted my son to write something after his summer experience, and I even saw some notes he was making, but no essay ever emerged...

This summer he will do cty and maybe we'll have better success than duke tip (with regard to actually writing about it afterward)--he absolutely Loved Duke tip; we went through all the course offerings of the talent search summer institutes (except Rocky Mountain because they haven't published their courses yet!) and the one he wanted happened to be in cty

About the price--residential programs are expensive, but the summer institutes have been so worthwhile (I justify it because my kiddos go to public school and so this is the one big educational expense of the year, that still doesn't compare to private school tuition).

Last edited by cym; 02/12/08 05:31 AM.
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ds won't be going to a brick and mortar high school unless we have a major life change here. We're very happy with homeschooling. I really would love him to do CTY for the experience of the gifted group learning, which I think he would love. He is very social and though he has some very gifted pals at home, he would probably love the immersion that CTY would provide.

Unfortunately, I don't think our finances will allow us to send him this summer after all. Sigh... so maybe he can attend when he is 12, and then do mathpath the following summer.

Cym, I hope your son has a great time at CTY! Maybe you can review the experience here.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM