Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    J
    I asked for a test through the school board even though DS was at a private school in Pre-K. According to our gifted mandates they had to test him.

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    I would check your SD's policies. In ours, for example, parents or teachers can start the process. However, it is very regimented and full of deadlines. Usually, you have to apply in late November, if kid seems qualified, they go to a group setting achievement test. If they test at a certain level, then they move on to the CogAT, and so on.

I have heard of very few parochial schools that have gifted policies. I would talk directly to the teacher and/or administration.

Originally Posted by onthegomom
    Do they have to test at a private school if state law mandates testing?

No, I don't think so. Though Jamie's experience would indicate otherwise. It might depend upon the way the law is written in a given state.

Kriston
    C
    C
    For us at least, the local school district is still responsible to test etc, even if the child is in private school. You're paying for those services with your tax dollars. I'd call and ask like Mam said.

P
    P
    "If there is no behavior problems or developmental problems, what motivates a school to do testing? If a school is not making sure the kids are challenged enough, why would they test?

I think our school is not challenging some of the kid enough. They have a gifted program 40 mins. Max. a week."

We have been advocating on our dd6's behalf for grade acceleration since the beginning of the school year. Our dd has never exhibited behavioral issues but for the first month or so, she would cry before and during school because she was so bored!! Our request to have dd assessed for possible skip to first grade was highly accepted by dd's teachers and school Principal. She tested out of the preliminary K assessments and nearly out of the first grade as well. The results and a letter of recommendation from dd's teachers and school Principal were sent to the district office for approval. We got halted at the district level and they informed us that new guidelines would have to be drafted and completed before we could proceed. The guidelines were just completed last week and dd will be tested this coming week. They will be implementing the IAS and she will be given the WISC, ITBS, and WJ-ACH batteries. This is all brand new to dh and I but we strongly felt that we needed to give a little push (no, a BUG PUSH) in the right direction to get and continue to get the ball rolling.

My humble advice to you is that if you would like the school to have your child tested, then make the school administer whatever assessments are necessary. In speaking to an advocate with experience in cases such as ours, the one advice she gave me that I hold steadfast is that the school district cannot negate the wishes of a parent. If the outcome will be in the best interest of the child, then go for it with all you've got!!

All the best!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader