Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #66900 01/25/10 02:26 PM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    I've posted maybe last year.....
    My daughter is now in 1st grade and is bored (her words)....she says 1st grade is "too easy". I was told to wait until school testing was done and then we would meet again to discuss a "game plan". Testing went well...by the end of the school year they want the kids on a "level 3" reading level....DD got 16....another part of the test they want the kids to score a 13 by the end of the year...DD got a 90 (highest possible score). They're currently doing math tests and dd is bored out of her mind to where she stopped taking them b/c "I already know this why can't I do double digits they're more fun"....she does triple digits at home lol...right now the teacher even "uses" her to help the ESL students and any new student that comes in (my DD is SIX...that's NOT her job....once in awhile is okay but it's all the time....even my dd complains she missed out on something because she had to help someone read or complete an assignment)....

Anyway....I emailed the school counselor today (she's my point of contact when it comes to DD)....I expressed my concerns with my DD (once home she has meltdowns)....and just complains how bored she is and how easy...."too easy" school is...she misses homework...they now get 2 assignments to complete in a month....these assignments take my dd all of 5 minutes.... ex:"write down 10 winter words"....

Last year the school called me in and we met every few weeks to see how DD was doing....this year I can't get anything. BUT today....the counselor calls me back....informs me it's NOT possible my DD is bored....but now has a chemical imbalane and I need to get her into the pediatrician ASAP to have her tested! Are you kidding me???? She doesn't act out or meltdown in school....she complains how bored she is...how easy everything is....and now they want to brush it off as a chemical imbalance??? Am I missing something here? She's reading at a 5th grade level....doing as many workbooks at home as she can....telling me what's bugging her and that's the reply I get from the school....

Any ideas as to what do I do now????

Thanks!

O
    O
    My DS was acting strange in 2nd, ADHD Like. This prompted testing. They did the Woodcock Johnson Achievement Test and IQ. This helped to advocate for him to get some adjustments. The school psycologist said there was nothing wrong with him just needs challenge in school. I would make sure the tester is good. Any way, my point is something good can come out of this situation. If you go talk to your ped. maybe he can reccomend testing to your school. Have you talked to the principal yet?

It is not a child's job to teach others. If your child does not like the teaching of classmates tell the teacher this must stop. If your child has extra time can she read or do some alternate work - see mindware.com for ideas. My son loves the Math books and they go beyond what is taught in our school.

Last edited by onthegomom; 01/25/10 03:26 PM.
    Originally Posted by peanutmom04
    I've posted maybe last year.....
    My daughter is now in 1st grade and is bored (her words)....she says 1st grade is "too easy". I was told to wait until school testing was done and then we would meet again to discuss a "game plan". Testing went well...by the end of the school year they want the kids on a "level 3" reading level....DD got 16....another part of the test they want the kids to score a 13 by the end of the year...DD got a 90 (highest possible score). They're currently doing math tests and dd is bored out of her mind to where she stopped taking them b/c "I already know this why can't I do double digits they're more fun"....she does triple digits at home lol...right now the teacher even "uses" her to help the ESL students and any new student that comes in (my DD is SIX...that's NOT her job....once in awhile is okay but it's all the time....even my dd complains she missed out on something because she had to help someone read or complete an assignment)....

Anyway....I emailed the school counselor today (she's my point of contact when it comes to DD)....I expressed my concerns with my DD (once home she has meltdowns)....and just complains how bored she is and how easy...."too easy" school is...she misses homework...they now get 2 assignments to complete in a month....these assignments take my dd all of 5 minutes.... ex:"write down 10 winter words"....

Last year the school called me in and we met every few weeks to see how DD was doing....this year I can't get anything. BUT today....the counselor calls me back....informs me it's NOT possible my DD is bored....but now has a chemical imbalane and I need to get her into the pediatrician ASAP to have her tested! Are you kidding me???? She doesn't act out or meltdown in school....she complains how bored she is...how easy everything is....and now they want to brush it off as a chemical imbalance??? Am I missing something here? She's reading at a 5th grade level....doing as many workbooks at home as she can....telling me what's bugging her and that's the reply I get from the school....

Any ideas as to what do I do now????

Thanks!

Can you get that counselor to put it in writing that your daughter has a chemical imbalance? Then ask her to list her qualifications to make such a diagnosis. This sounds so far out of line I'd want to take some of that line and wrap it around her(the counselor, not your daughter)!

P
    OP Offline
    P
    LOL....I agree OHGrandma! IF my DD was acting out all day, everyday....to where is was disruptive to her class I would consider the possibility....but she's not....

When my dd was in kindergarten, she would cry....but they realized it was because she was bored (they actually said she was "dumbing" herself down to match her classmates)....now when she states she's bored all of a sudden it's a chemical imbalance (according to counselor)....

C
    C
    Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    Can you get that counselor to put it in writing that your daughter has a chemical imbalance?
    lol! I'd be inclined to take that approach as well -- tell her that you are going to seek outside testing as she suggested and ask that she put in writing her concerns including any imbalance she feels your dd may have so you can make sure that the dr knows what to look for. Then I'd get IQ and achievement testing and approach the principal or the district with the results and a copy of the letter from the school counselor and try to get her reprimanded or fired!

First grade was a really hard year for our oldest dd as well. I've heard that from other parents of gifted kids too. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on making sure that everyone can read, etc. in first and that is really a tough thing for kids who are already fluent readers, able to do the math and so on.

I feel like I suggest this more than I wish I had to, but do you have any other schooling options?

D
    D
    Holy smokes! I would ask that "counselor" if her usage is limited to medicinal purposes, or if it also involves recreational use... 'cause she's obviously smoking something.

I, too, would ask for it in writing. It's just so outlandish that others will not likely believe your version of things... but if they read it in her own words. Wow.

You should submit that to Hoagie's "Ridiculous Things I Heard Today" page: http://hoagiesgifted.org/ridiculous_things.htm

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    O
    O
    Dandy- very inspiring! I'm starting a thread - Ridiculous GT Things I Heard"

P
    OP Offline
    P
    Cricket no I don't have any other options....other than homeschooling....not something I want to do (I work pt as well as have 3 little ones here at home....my house is too distracting lol)....

I've gotta check out the ridiculous things site....sounds like something i'll need to join lol....

I thought I was missing something...I'm surprised they jumped to "chemical imbalance"....they know my DD....they know her history.....they called ME in for meetings about her....the school was supposed to do the IQ testing....but they wanted to wait for regualr testing to get done....and sadly when I get in touch with them they blow me off....I mean if they just asked my DD she'd tell them exactly what I did....

My friend and her DH are both child school psychologists for our district....I'm going to get in touch with her today and hopefully she can help....I just feel bad for my DD who is just frustrated....

V
    V
    Well if the school counselor officially recommends that she see the doctor for evaluation she just tied the schools hands and they have to pay for any visits related to this "chemical imbalance" As someone in education you never say that someone needs to get medical help but suggest at best. If the school feels it is needed they must pursue it . It's always fun to play the legal game on them.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by vicam
    Well if the school counselor officially recommends that she see the doctor for evaluation she just tied the schools hands and they have to pay for any visits related to this "chemical imbalance"
    Yeah, these are the times when you wish you had a tape recorder running during the conversation. Although I really liked the GT coordinator for our district at the time and suspected that she was just burned out and being honest with me, I wished that I had taped her telling me that "highly gifted students don't last long in the public school system; have you considered homeschooling?" and "the higher ups in the district are philosophically opposed to meeting your daughter's needs." No one in their right mind is going to admit to making comments like that that would get them in trouble and it just becomes your word against theirs.

If you can afford it, I'd still get the ball rolling on private testing. Given their behavior at the moment, I don't know if I'd trust their tester to do it correctly and not just pathologize your dd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM