Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    After my DS had his WJIII achievement test, scored 9th grade overall, the GT teacher said, " I had no idea, he's like a genius, Who knew they had above level testing like that?"

During a meeting with the principal, she said, "you don't have to work so hard at this(advocacy)." Obviously, she does not get my DS's position. It's hard to imagine a principal saying don't learn more, I think she would take this back if she understood.

AS a parent of a child who could of taught most of his 1st and 2nd grade I can not just sit back and say the school will take care of this. How could I ignore this situation when in 2nd grade he was given a SRA reader level books he read in K. This was after he scored 99% on IOWA tests. This seems like a reason for the school to watch out this child is being challenged.

This is not to say these are uncaring people. They just don't get it YET! I'm on a mission.

L
    L
    School counselor- I've never heard of a child getting sad because he wasn't getting enough math.

School counselor- He doesn't need more math he needs to work on his writing.

School District Gifted Supervisor: We'll assess him on the Stanford (an at grade level exam) and then look at what he needs.

Thanks for the place to vent......

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    A head at a school DH and I went to look at ..."I have never met a truly gifted child"... (needless to say DS never went there)

T
    T
    Ahhhh! Just when I needed this thread the most (I am *beyond* cynical this week....)

My submissions would all be related to the idea that national norms/percentiles aren't compelling indicators in our district (because "we have lots of kids like that in this district"). Even the measures selected BY the district apparantly mean nothing, never mind silly little measures like scoring in the 99th percentile on the EXPLORE.... Who knew that my kids were attending school in Lake Woebegone????

Hmmm...now that I think about it....since all of our students are apparently gifted, I guess all of our programming must be geared two years or more above the national standards for each grade level. Now how did I miss that? smirk

J
    J
    My favorite, which has been said over and over to me many times by school officials and random people on the streets:

Grade skipping him now at age 5 (at the time) may cause a problem when he's 15 and all his classmates are 16 and getting their licenses.

Awesome.

C
    C
    My son's school informed me that they don't test kids who are at or above grade level.

Oh and the VP told me that 'Kids choose to be bored'

B
    B
    School IEP team- "We can't send him to Algebra class next year when he can't even sit still and pay attention in regular 3rd grade class. He will be doing grade level math." (After DS completed Pre-Algebra 8th grade on ALEKS at school in 3rd grade!)

He's been punished for not being challenged!
    Fortunately, after being confronted by his WJ-III Broad Math score of 190, they changed their mind. He's been accelerated to Algebra this year (4th grade), and he is very happy. No attention problem in math class.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    WOW what a math score. I'm glad you got some help.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Taminy
    Who knew that my kids were attending school in Lake Woebegone????

Hmmm...now that I think about it....since all of our students are apparently gifted, I guess all of our programming must be geared two years or more above the national standards for each grade level. Now how did I miss that? smirk

LOL - we must be neighbors. We live in Lake Wobegone too. wink Heard that tune many times.

When trying to talk to the 2nd grade teacher about DS7's anxiety:
    "Of course he must be anxious--he is the youngest child in this class. The other children must be so intimidating!"

Ha! If anything DS7 was more anxious about the fact that he was still academically advanced even with his grade skip.

Crisc
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...