Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #66225 01/19/10 08:12 AM
    JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    When do you know whether a school is a good fit? I should know this after all of our experience with a poor fit, but I'm still so confused. Ds is still complaining that school is boring and that the day takes too long. He just started Montessori school. Not sure what to make of it. We heard the same complaints at the Catholic school before we pulled him. I felt sure at the time that it was due to boredom and lack of challenge. He actually says school is too hard for him now, but I don't think that's the case. I'm not sure if he's just not used to being challenged, if he's just not used to all the writing required, or if he's underchallenged. Either way, I sure wish he was excited and enjoying school like he did his first week.

I hear from my husband and my parents, "well, it's not unusual for kids to not like school. They have to go, so he'll just have to get used to it." In some ways I agree, but I also know the down side of forcing a child to continue in an educational environment that's not working. We've been there done that already! I'd like to think we've learned a thing or two from that lesson.

What constitutes a "good try" at a school? When do you knwo you've REALLY given it a good shot? When do you know it's the wrong environment and that you need a change? Could it be that our son just isn't going to like school no matter where he is? I can't imagine this as he LOVES to learn. If there's another option, do you definitely give it a shot, even if it's possibly another bad fit? By changing schools yet again next year, am I teaching ds that you don't have to stick with things, even if you don't always like them?

I know I've posted about this school issue multiple times, but I'm just not sure what to do. Is 5 months enough time to make a good judgement about a school's fit for our son? I want him to be excited about going to school; to enjoy learning...it's just not happening. This seems like such a wonderful school; I'm not sure why it's not working for him.

As always, thank you for your insight!

S
    S
    I'm sorry your DS isn't happy, that is a tough one. I almost posted something similar last night. DS is in public and likes some of it but not happy with other parts. It's not a horrible fit but I don't know if it's the best fit & not sure the appropriate amount of challenge we should expect. I worry that he will underachieve and give up on his enthusiasm for learning. We hear a lot of that "B" word too and it's frustrating. Is there anything about the day he does enjoy?

I wish I had some great answer for you but hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along to offer some good advice.

JenSMP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I have the opportunity to go into the classroom to visit and observe every Tuesday morning. I haven't done this yet because I want to give ds some time to just get used to being there without me, but I think next week I will try to spend some time there. The teacher is aware of our concerns,and she feels he is definitely challenged. I know it's going to take him some time to get used to feeling challenged and knowing what to do in that environment. It's like a darned if you do...darned if you don't situation trying to find the middle ground between too little challenge and too much challenge. Hopefully it's just an adjustment period. I'm just worried about missing out on another great opportunity we have for next year. But like they say, I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I'd much rather have a good fit now and stick with it. Do you think 5 months is enough time to make a judgement? If it seems clear that ds is very unhappy at the end of the year, I'm inclined to move him, but I don't want to jump the gun if all he needs is more time to adjust.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs