Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    My son is about to turn three.

What are your favorite resources (books, websites) for PG preschoolers? (Anything specifically for children who begin preschool reading at about a first or second grade level?)

We're planning to homeschool all the way through school, so for preschool, I'm planning to adapt a curriculum, Bright Beginnings, to his level. Has anyone tried something similar?

N
    N
    Personally, I can't imagine trying to adapt a standard curriculum for my DD. She is up to 5+ years ahead in some areas (notably, reading) but is pretty close to her age-peers in other areas (notably, compliance). And she's got skills at every level in between. We unschool, but when we were considering homeschooling I concluded that I'd have to make my own curriculum.

Anyway, welcome to the board. smile

A
    A
    I am homeschooling. Although I am not adapting a curiculum so to speak as I don't think that would work for DD. She apparenty according to the placement tests I just gave her is already in 1st grade math. She is 2.10, will be 3 in March. She is reading on a K level, but is making huge leaps everyday in that regard. I am just kind of letting her explore her own things. She is really into the human body so that is one direction we are going in. I am thinking of working on some 1st grade math with her as she loves math and workbooks. We go to the library 2 times a week. Once for picking out book time, and once for storytime. We do tons of arts and crafts. I also just ordered a science experiment kit made for 5 and up that has 25 plus experiments in it that we are going to do together for fun. I would just hang in there and work on what he is interested in.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    The way I'm planning to adapt the curriculum is to basically ignore the math and language parts (completely replacing them) while still doing the PE, religious education, personal hygiene, character, outdoor, craft, and food activities. Since preschool curriculum is less about academics and more about life experience, exploration, and play; it appears to be easier to adapt than an elementary school curriculum. Also the particular curriculum I bought is for 4-6 year olds, so the non-academic activities are skewed just slightly older. Plus, it's designed to only be used for about an hour and a half two or three times a week. That leaves the vast majority of our time open.

By elementary school, we'll be creating a completely personalized curriculum.

amazedmom, that science experiment kit sounds great. What is it called? My son is also into the human body. Anything you've found to be particularly good for exploring that interest?

Hi Mifun,
    Welcome!
    Lots of families use K12 and like it for gifted kids.
    Enjoy!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Have you found
    Homeschool Buyer's Co-op:
    http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I second the k12 recommendation, particularly if your kids are on par in all their subjects. K12 private school has an individualized learning plan by the look of it. I was thinking of using it with my 10 year old son. All the best to you in your new endeavor!

M
    M
    My 3.5 year old is suspected MG and 2 years or so ahead cognitively in most subjects. Right now, we do a relaxed "formal" homeschooling approach based on her interests and some stuff based on my suggestion. Her notable "advanced" skill is math and her peer-aged skill is most notably HANDWRITING!!! LOL! (she reads in "secret" so I have no idea what she can or can't read)

Her interests are (in order based on what she says!)

1. math -she is at a beginning 1st grade level (based on my state standards) so I'm using Horizons K (it's a more "advanced" curriculum - about 6 months ahead of other math curricula - so I hope) and supplement with some 1st grade math. Yes, that sounds backwards but her writing is definitely at a three year old level and I don't want to overwhelm her. I figured the supplement will be a more gentle approach to start then tailor it based on how she's doing.

2. Science - we are doing a Peter Rabbit lap book right now (just started). So I'm using that as science to study rabbits. We just finished up a Habitat project using Moving Beyond the Page. I enhanced it though and she made an animal or plant from each of the 7 habitats we read about. The Peter Rabbit book was my suggestion since she enjoys science. And I also choose Moving Beyond the Page to work from.

3. She also likes projects. Which is why we are doing the lap book - she can make the little inserts that go into the lap book.

I do use curriculum. Maybe in the future I can do it without but definitely not now!! I just buy bits and pieces from different publishers according to her level.

She has asked for some "patterns schoolwork" so I bought some curriculum from Prufrock Press to check out. She likes patterns too and names all the patterns she sees and makes them up....where ever we go. (sigh)

I'm zipping out the door so if you want any links, please let me know!

Last edited by MamaJA; 01/13/10 03:08 PM.
    T
    T
    For the most part, I don't use any particular "resources" besides talking to her, reading whatever floats her boat to her and with her, going to library story times, looking things up on the computer that interest her. She likes to create Playdough sculpture and tell elaborate stories with them, etc. I don't sit down and teach her anything: if she is interested I may casually show her something and I think that is fine for her at this age. She knew letter sounds well before two, started simple reading at two, spelling words at two, elaborate puzzles at two, and now at three uses very very sophisticated language, can read "big" words, simple math, etc. She likes to sing and dance and make up songs and shows and paint and draw and so we do those sorts of things and I emphasize enjoying being three since life will get serious and even bleak too quickly.

I used Time4Learning with my DS. He could use it by himself and it gave me an hour off. He started at 2 and it uses very simply mouse commands. They can surf through lots of different subjects, stay in one place if they choose. He really enjoyed it and moved through the grade levels very quickly so there was always something new.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing