Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    jesse Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi there,
    I've read some of the older thread about IB program for gifted kids. It gave the overall impression that it was OK.

There seems to be a "differentiated learning" component that seems very appealing and may work with highly gifted kids.

I know some of you have already said something in a previous thread. It would be great if you don't mind commenting again, your perspective and/or if that perspective has changed. Or any new information you might have.

We're looking at the Primary -- my concern is that they really won't have that much differentiated learning until Middle School.

I've heard there are lots of homework and some kids have to work really really hard -- my concern is that my gifted kid will be bored and won't work hard -- esp. at the early stages of Primary. Esp. if the classwork and homework is just repetition work.

Thoughts? Your help is much appreciated.
    Thanks

F
    F
    Our school is currently in the process of becoming an IB PYP school so my information is based only to the Primary program.
    Every IB school incorporates the IB structure into their own curriculum, so no 2 schools are alike. Schools are given certain personal and global themes which are to be melded into the current years curriculum.
    There is no set curriculum benchmarks which means one IB school can be doing algebra for grade 2 and another not. As for Homework the same applies. In other words IB does not mean a set benchmark for academics, growth is the goal. According to State Standards we even have a few low performing PYP schools in our state.
    I believe IB can be good for the gifted learner as it encourages global awareness and encourages students to evaluate how they fit into a global society.
    Every PYP IB student is exposed to a foreign language and the IB schools are required to participate and make a contribution to their community. I like IB because students are taught about worldwide issues, learn how to focus on the bigger picture, and are encouraged to make a difference.

If you are considering an IB school, I encourage you to dig a little deeper than the IB label, especially if you want to know more about how they differentiate and their homework policies.
    Good-luck and feel free to message me if you have any specific questions
    I am knee deep in PYP IB data as I am on the team working to switch our school over to IB PYP.

I can back up Floridama on this one with some personal experience. I am currently teaching at the diploma level of the IB (grades 11 and 12) and have taught the MYP as well at schools that have had the PYP so I know the outcome of the PYP having taught the students that have finished the program.
    It is highly dependent on the school and how they implement it. It should be a good fit for GT kids because it should be based on growth and projects and cross curricular topics. The amount of homework is not only dependent on the school but on the individual teacher and subject (in some cases).
    One of the things that I really like about the PYP is the grade 5 project that they do. It is an open-ended lengthy project that the students present to the school and their parents. They work so hard on it and take such pride in it, it is great to see it build through the planning, designing and presentation stages.
    Then, when they get into the MYP it expands this concept as well as marking not on the traditional letter grades of A-F but on criteria based rubric. So, there is tons of opportunity for differentiation, individual projects and some really amazing stuff to come from the programs.
    I know the school that I most recently worked at with the PYP did so much differentiation that I was amazed, but it really fits into the IB mind set. I too like the whole student approach to the IB. They focus on the fact that there are certain traits that an IB learner should have - they call them the learner profile and are : inquirers, knowledgable, thinkers, communicators, principled, open-minded, caring, risk-takers, balanced and reflective.

Check out IB to get more information about their programs and philosophy

Last edited by Kerry; 01/13/10 06:13 PM.
    J
    jesse Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you for your perspectives. Very informative. Yes, I've been thru the IB website and I understand there is still quite a bit of flexibility with how the IB program itself could be implemented at each school.

M
    M
    Somewhat related....This is a very interesting study done comparing and assessing IB vs AP. I found it in the Duke Gifted Letter, in the right navigation bar under "resources" on this page http://www.dukegiftedletter.com/articles/vol10no2_sh.html

Thomas B. Fordham Institute - Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate: Do They Deserve Gold Star Status?

We have both IB and AP in our District. My daughter has attended a special self-contained GT program in elementary school. For middle school options, such GT program is replaced by two different GT/honors tracts, of which the IB MYP program is considered the more rigorous, therefore has more stringent acceptance criteria set by the District. IB is by no means "gifted ed" but, the District has positioned the program as targeted for those kids.

M
    M
    I see that my previous link to the IB/AP assessments and comparison may not have worked. Here is the direct link to the PDF file. http://www.edexcellence.net/doc/APIB.pdf

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent