Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 247 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #65748 01/12/10 09:46 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I'm looking for a link. Once upon a time, on my old hard drive, I had a link to a chart of SRA color levels and how they corresponded to grade levels. I thought I got it from someplace on these boards but searching has gotten me nowhere. Does anyone recall what I am talking about? Thanks smile

Family Resources
    Families
    McGraw-Hill Education also offers educational materials that you can purchase online. Please visit the McGraw-Hill Learning Store and browse through our collection of products that help make learning fun.
    Homeschoolers
    The SRA/McGraw-Hill product line has been developed and produced for classroom use, but you may wish to use some of these materials in your homeschool setting.
    To purchase products for your homeschool use call our Customer Service Department Toll-Free at 1-888-SRA-4543. We apologize for this inconvenience. Our current online purchase capabilities require all product deliveries to be school addresses. Our Customer Service personnel can accommodate deliveries to non-school addresses.
    Maybe call them?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    K
    K
    Not sure if this one is going to help you, but I used to refer to this chart quite a bit so maybe it will help someone ...

http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/classroombooks/browse_level.asp

And here's a similar DRA chart ...

http://www.mcgraw-hill.co.uk/sra/grfx/reading_lab_chart_07.jpg

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks ladies! I think that second one is pretty similar to what I was looking for, kmick, thanks!

I have been trying to find info on this. I did the SRA placement test with ds7 myself yesterday. His results:

Comprehension: B1 L1 (DS was very frustrated with this entire section of the test, and it seemed like an odd way to measure comprehension to me. No reading and then answering questions. It was lots of vocabulary testing (not even in context-just a matching list) and reading nonsense sentences to find the part of the sentence that provided the nonsensical definition.)

Decoding: B2 L2

He says at school he's on Level 2 Brown. I'm not sure what any of this means in terms of a reading grade-level or age equivalent.

Can anyone help with this? DS complains about the stories he reads being "baby stories" that are boring. He says the words are in large print and there are few words on a page like a baby book.

I'd like to determine what reading level he's on, but he's all over the map at home. Magic Treehouse books are too babyish and easy. Harry Potter is his obsession, but once we got to the 3rd book, he needed lots of help. I ended up reading it to him instead. He didn't seem to have any trouble with the first two Harry Potter books other than having to ask about some of the unique terminology. He wasn't always sure if it was just a made up wizarding word or if it was actual vocabulary he had yet to learn. He also really likes the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, but that's just because he loves bathroom humor, not because the reading is a challenge. He's reading Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing now (ages 9-12). He's also reading Origami Yoda, which I think is also for ages 9-12. That seems like quite a range.

I'm trying to determine a more specific reading level to advocate for reading acceleration at school. DS thinks he's doing 2nd grade reading level with SRA but he's not sure. I just know that what he's reading is not challenging him. Luckily he can bring his own books to school, but he only gets to read these for a short time. The teacher often comments on what an excellent reader he is, but if she knows that, why is he still doing 2nd grade SRA? I have a meeting with the teacher on Monday, so hopefully we'll be able to get to the bottom of it. I want to make sure I have information of my own to contribute regarding this subject.

Anyone have any ideas. Sorry for being so wordy; I really can't help myself!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets