Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #65716 01/12/10 02:21 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    DD is flying through the firts set. She mostly just reads the words, but occassionally she will sound one out out loud. When she doe she then goes back to the start of the sentence and reads it all again without sounding them out. It's amazing that she just seems to know some words, though I watch her pause and I figure she is figuring it out in her head.

So for those of you who have used them, do you just progress to the next set when your child finished the first box? Did you have them rea all of them more then once or just let them progress as they wanted? Right now she usually just reads one and then wants to move on to the next one, but will later go back and oick out an earlier one to read to someone else.

DD actually just took one next door to read to the neighbors 4 month old LOL.

Thanks

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    amazedmom #65717 01/12/10 02:25 PM
    N
    Nes Offline
    N
    I was JUST going to ask about beginner reading books! laugh Lucas LOVES books (just got up from his nap and there are books all over the floor again, he was "reading" to himself).

I'd like some examples of basic picture/word books that actually have a story to them, what are the bob books?

Nes #65718 01/12/10 02:32 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Nes
    I'd like some examples of basic picture/word books that actually have a story to them, what are the bob books?
    Off topic from the thread title, but let me put in a word for Oxford Reading Tree Songbird Phonics (not to be confused with other ORT series). These are (or many of them are? I forget) by Julia Donaldson, who wrote many famous children's books such as The Gruffalo. It shows! DS6 still insists that they all live in his bookshelf and occasionally reads them. He already enjoyed them at just-3 and I don't remember any of them being "scary", which was a recurrent problem with books more generally.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    ColinsMum #65721 01/12/10 02:58 PM
    DS4 taught himself to read with Bob books when he was 2. I literally just bought him more when he asked for them, so we ended up with the first three sets pretty quickly. Since then he has progressed on to other books and hasn't asked for more Bob books, even though he knows there are another 2 sets that he hasn't read.

punkiedog #65738 01/12/10 04:45 PM
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks smile DD loves them right now because she can read all the words. She gets frusterated with books that I have to help her with even if she knows most of the words, so with the Bob books she sits by herself and reads. Today I was at my neighbors in her kitchen an we walked back into the living room and DD was reading the Bob book to her daughter. She later told me "I told Joy 'I am going to sit down and read you a book'" LOL

We also point ut words when we read to her, well usually she wil ask why a word is something ...for example....why is you not your as it looks like you, so I tell her it changes when you put the r at the end, and then she instantly recognizes the word from then on. Today it was why is the word off, off and not of. Why did they add an extra f? LOL.

I think I'll get the next set this weekend.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    amazedmom #66098 01/16/10 08:58 PM
    T
    T
    I got the BOB books for my DD when she was two and she read them, but them just wasn't into wanting to read them so I just put them on the shelf. She really doesn't like to read books aloud to me which makes me so sad. I'd love to sit and listen to her. She can read almost any word I put in front of her and if asked, will read sentences for me, but we don't try to sound words out or do anything to help with her reading because it just seems she wants to do things on her own without my interference.

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 01/16/10 08:59 PM.
    TwinkleToes #66117 01/17/10 01:36 PM
    My kids never took to the Bob books as toddlers. They preferred Sharon Gordon's early reader books, and were really excited about books like the Scholastic I Spy series intended for older kids. One of my kids particularly loved nonfiction books at that age, and read some fairly dry books intended for adults.

Lorel #66123 01/17/10 03:33 PM
    N
    N
    I'll second the I Spy series. DD went through them like lightning, but they were great while they lasted. smile She always hated Bob books, but I think that's because her sight word vocabulary was so huge that she could read much more interesting books long before she was ready to start sounding words out.

no5no5 #66141 01/17/10 07:24 PM
    M
    M
    My son strongly disliked Bob books, as he would not read anything that didn't have real plot or more sophisticated humor. Basically, if I thought it was boring, he thought it was boring and didn't want to bother. There are some early reader books out there that fit the bill, but not many--AT ALL! I think it's one reason my son was not an early reader--he would just rather I read him things that were really interesting. He did like some of the Brand New Readers series, especially the books with Worm as the main character--they are quite funny. He also adored the Elephant and Piggy books (by Mo Willems) when he was slightly more advanced. My son was not one with a high sight word vocabulary early on, but he still loathed the Bob books b/c he just didn't find them entertaining.

mom2boys #66147 01/17/10 09:06 PM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by mom2boys
    My son strongly disliked Bob books, as he would not read anything that didn't have real plot or more sophisticated humor. Basically, if I thought it was boring, he thought it was boring and didn't want to bother. There are some early reader books out there that fit the bill, but not many--AT ALL! I think it's one reason my son was not an early reader--he would just rather I read him things that were really interesting.

Interesting - same thing here with both kids. DS wouldn't read willingly until he hit 3rd or 4th grade level (which he seemed to hit overnight) and DD appears to be in the same process. DD seems to be able to read almost anything, but doesn't have the fluency to sit down and read what she'd actually enjoy yet. I have only a hand full of things she will willingly read out loud.

Both kids hate leveled readers and our one set of bob books were never touched.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations