Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #65110 01/01/10 01:05 PM
    M
    matmum Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Dottie- I was wondering about the perks... Was your son ok with all of it?

My ds9 wants no special attention to himself in class. I made a donation to his class and the teacher had all the students sign a thankyou note to me. He said never do that again. He wouldn't bring in a little pumpkin for his teacher for Happy Fall.

My dd6 loves to be a helper and bring in things for her class or teacher.

I hope you don't mind me buying into this one Dottie and onthegomom.

My son also dislikes unwanted attention and is embarrassed and awkward when these situations arise. He will not draw attention to himself in the classroom. His lack of participation in classroom discussion etc was frequently commented on and more often than not he wouldn't ask anything in class but rather engage the teacher one on one at the end of the lesson (he still does this at times). His confidence level has definately improved with age. The perks - if it is something the teacher initiates that is school related then he doesn't have a problem with that. Over the past few years the school has involved him in timetabling, planning, teaching and tutoring. He has told me he really enjoys these activities and I would imagine the fact that the other students see it as nothing unusual for him helps the situation.

(Raised in the Mathy VS Wordy thread).

Last edited by matmum; 01/01/10 10:55 PM. Reason: Quote didn't go in the first time
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by matmum
    I hope you don't mind me buying into this one Dottie and onthegomom.

Please join in anytime. I like to hear others opinions.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    I don't know where the original thread is, and don't know if my comment will be on topic.

My kids don't like me giving stuff to their school or class, but it's more a cautious money-spending reason than being called out. "Why would you donate that money to the school? Why don't you just give it to me?" I've been bringing snacks for Science Olympiad practices and I hear, "I love these kind of ___. Why do we have to give them away?" They like when I chaperone field trips or bring cool programs to their classes. Just yesterday I received (rare) praise for bringing the EXPLORE test to our town--that was 2 yrs ago, but they just figured it out.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations