Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 438 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    soni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Maybe I am looking for book recommendations or something, but I am feeling in over my head with my daughter....My daughter turned three a couple days ago. I am assuming she is gifted, physically and intellectually (though probably not emotionally:D) I want to do it right, especially since I was a gifted child who had no support and that did not end well. Developmentally she would be four I guess (drawing people with all parts including toes and fingers, beginning reading, rollerskating, etc). I just worry because I feel like I don't know how to help her. She doesn't want me to help her learn anything. She often learns something and then pretends she doesn't know how to do it for months (She learned to write her name, Ramona, two or three months ago and then after about a week, she started just scribbling and saying she was writing her name but then she started writing it again last week, with speaking she didn't talk til she was 18 months but was using 5 word sentences at 20 months and 7+ sentences before two years). She has very bad concentration, but sometimes she goes into fantasy land and if you ask her to get ready for bed, or come eat breakfast, she screams and cries, insisting that whatever she is fantasizing about is real and more important. She is extremely high energy and when she feels bad, I would say she is almost abusive (if a 3 year old can be). She was very sweet until the last few months, no terrible twos, nothing. Now she is really out of control. I don't want to take her anywhere with me because we argue the whole time because she wants to do whatever she wants to do, but then she is already going stir-crazy inside so much this winter. She has been sick a lot the last few months which I attribute partially to her bad behavior. I guess I am looking for resources in parenting a very high energy, emotional gifted child who likes to pretend she can't do things and doesn't like to do anything you ask her to. I am thinking she may have caught on to the word games they tell you to play in the parenting books. For example, instead of saying "brush your teeth" you say "after you brush your teeth, we will read a book." She seems to know they both mean the same thing, "do what i say." and she doesn't want to do anything I say. Yet she is super bossy and gets mad that I won't do what she says. She keeps telling me, "you are the mommy, you are supposed to take care of me!" I guess her behavior has to be a phase, cause it can't go on forever, but advice and recommendations would be such a help to me.
    -Soni

S
    soni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Oh, and she doesn't want to do anything that looks like it might be a little hard. She gets really frustrated and upset if she doesn't know how to do something (I.e. when we try to teach her how to play a board game that we know she can do if she thinks about it)

This is a girl I used to travel the country with and other countries as well. I hope to again, but can't with this crazy behavior. Is it just winter and indoor/sick time? She started preschool this Sept, but only 6 hours a week!

Last edited by soni; 12/21/09 08:49 AM.
    V
    V
    She is also testing her limits with you as all children do at that age. Tell her, I am the Mommy and it is my job to see that you learns the skills you needs to be independent. I love you too much to let you be helpless. then drop it. She sounds like my son a debator who will try to out logic anyone who tangles with him.

C
    C
    I liked the book Raising Your Spirited Child when dd#1 was a toddler/preschooler.

Originally Posted by soni
    I guess her behavior has to be a phase, cause it can't go on forever, but advice and recommendations would be such a help to me.
    -Soni
    Well, it could continue her whole childhood!

Here's a book reccomendation - read the stories on the website http://www.energyparenting.com/public/department61.cfm
    and if they seem 'to fit' then try:
    http://www.energyparenting.com/products/item15.cfm
    Transforming the Difficult Child - Book
    The Nurtured Heart Approach is an amazing set of strategies developed specifically for children with ADHD and other challenging behaviors to facilitate parenting and classroom success.

It is tough when a child is 'too smart' for regular parenting books, and this is the first book I've read that really digs in and gives advice on how to provide the right level of structure and support of really intense children. The folks who are writing this material don't actually realize that they are describing gifted children, but if the shoe fits....

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM