Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    What I don't get is why people place so much importance on sports that they redshirt a 5 year old? If a kid is good at sports, that talent will develop and the opportunity to redshirt a kid at the college level would make more sense.

N
    N
    My son is 6 1/2, in 1st grade (though goes to 2nd grade for math and also to a pull-out session with the gifted teacher). He loves loves loves soccer - has been playing since he was 4, spring, summer, fall, and this year indoor winter soccer (in the 5 and 6 year old co-ed group). The last day of this session is this coming weekend, and today I got an e-mail from the soccer person telling me that next session I sign him up for, I should sign him up with the age group above him (7 and 8 year old boys) Apparently, he IS as good as we think he is smile It'll certainly be interesting - he's already the smallest in his group, so he'll be tiny compared to the 7 and 8 year olds - but he is SO up for the challenge - yeah smile

O
    OP Offline
    O
    It is so important to teach kids that the process and the challenge are the reward more than the ribbon. Internal prizes are the best.

I told my son I would rather see him get Bs and get more out of the work than his easy As. This does get tricky.

Last edited by onthegomom; 12/16/09 06:36 AM.
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    He's been in this boat for years, and it's always interesting to see what classmates' siblings will land on his team (Little League) for any given year. It bothered me at first, but I've grown to enjoy the confusion from the other parents when the inevitable age/grade/teacher questions get asked along the sidelines.

Dottie,
    This makes my heart sing! I always had faith that you would come to enjoy those 'potentially awkward' moments. Go Dottie!

Sister Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by onthegomom
    It is so important to teach kids that the process and the challenge are the reward more than the ribbon. Internal prizes are the best.

I agree for myself, but I think that people who are motivated by their social standing are just as legitimate as we who are have internal motivation. Also, I can't help but notice that they give out those trophies for a reason. They motivate many kids.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    O
    OP Offline
    O
    We like trophies too. Don't get me wrong. I just want my kids to feel good for participating too.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    It may be that success in such areas is irrelevant to the kid or to the parents or both. I did a *lot* of competitive sports, science fair, spelling bees, etc., in school and I enjoyed them immensely. I'm glad for the opportunity and hate to end that option for my kids.

I've got a very different perspective here, but the difference might be attributed to personality. It seems like I entered and won every coloring, drawing, writing, spelling and science competition that came along while I was in elementary school (I even had poems published in the newspaper and dioramas displayed on public access tv!), and in the end it was a very damaging experience for me. Being at the top became my identity and by junior high I was avoiding any competition I couldn't win for fear of being revealed as a fraud. This included any and all forms of sport. By high school, I was a poor performer in competitive activities that I should have been good at, like debate, because I was so stressed out about appearing smart. Carol Dweck has written about the difference between documenting intelligence and developing it, and too often, competitions were a way for me to do the former--to "prove" how smart I was.

Ultimately, I think the biggest problem was that the competitions I entered in elementary school were all rigged in my favor. Until high school, I wasn't competing against anyone close to an intellectual peer (my mom turned down a second grade grade skip), so I never learned how to lose. For this reason, I let my uncoordinated DS4 participate in sports with kids his age (he still has soccer with his friends from preschool), but I would not want him entering any kind of academic or art contest against kids his age. It wouldn't be fair to anyone, including my son.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM