Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #64176 12/16/09 10:02 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I broke the news to the school that my DD will not be taking ELA after Christmas. She will continue to receive services, speech and social worker, and will take Music and Art with the thought of taking elective classes in these areas at the middle school. All at the meeting were surprisingly supportive or our choices and they actually increased her ST time from 20 minutes to 45 minutes because they wouldn't have to be working around other class schedules. They moved her social work time so I don't have to drive a different day and have no problem with her riding the bus in on the mornings of specials; so only a special trip for speech. They also left the option in the IEP for her to take ELA next year if this doesn't work out, so no doors closed.

They were actually excited about this as an opportunity for her to see that there are other kids equally smart out there, not just her, since her attitude has been rather bad lately. Her books came yesterday for a review and she will be getting her new books next month and starting classes with online G3 in February. I wish there were options for her to stay in PS for core subjects but they just aren't there in this district right now and we all agree on that. smile

Now I just need to put it in writing.

Last edited by melmichigan; 12/16/09 10:04 AM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    J
    J
    Wow...that sounds like a really positive meeting and it sounds like they are willing to work with you! What does your DD think of the new arrangement? Do you feel like a weight has been lifted off of your shoulders?

B
    B
    Hi Melissa,
    It looks like you have good educational plans for your DD. I'm glad to hear that she will continues to receive services.

Best Wishes!

Congratulations Melissa! I love those unburned bridges! And a little support is nice too!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I was very surprised and yes, it's like a weight off my shoulders. I am so relieved at the responses since I have four younger children and would love to leave options open for them in the future as well. My DD is thrilled, although she didn't want to go to school tomorrow until I reminded her it's her Christmas party. smile Her last day of ELA is Friday.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM