Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 125 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    I might be in the minority here, but I do agree with some of what he's saying.

Potential- I learned to hate this word by the end of 4th grade. I still hate this word, and rarely use it. As a child and teen I constantly heard "You have so much potential!". This was always accompanied by "You just need to quit being so lazy". To me, having potential meant that there was something wrong with me. I could never live up to my potential and the expectations created for me. Having potential meant that I wasn't good enough.

Parents under/over estimating their child's abilities- I see this often. I have a friend with 2 kids- a girl age 5 and boy age 4. My friend believes her daughter is gifted and her daughter does do well in kindergarten. She is worried that her son might be slow and he loathes preschool. From my perspective, her daughter certainly is bright, but her son is probably smarter. He taught himself to use the computer, can get to websites that he likes, and has mad number skills. Its the boy who chose the animal encyclopedia from my bookcase and spends hours looking at the pictures and asking adults to read to him. I don't know whether either of those children is gifted, but I would be shocked if the girl scored higher than the boy on IQ tests. Their mother would be shocked if it were the other way around!

I don't agree with all of the author's conclusions, but I do think some have merit.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by ithinkican
    Parents under/over estimating their child's abilities- I see this often. I have a friend with 2 kids- a girl age 5 and boy age 4. My friend believes her daughter is gifted and her daughter does do well in kindergarten. She is worried that her son might be slow and he loathes preschool. From my perspective, her daughter certainly is bright, but her son is probably smarter. He taught himself to use the computer, can get to websites that he likes, and has mad number skills. Its the boy who chose the animal encyclopedia from my bookcase and spends hours looking at the pictures and asking adults to read to him. I don't know whether either of those children is gifted, but I would be shocked if the girl scored higher than the boy on IQ tests. Their mother would be shocked if it were the other way around!

Interesting! I know a family like this with an oldest movivated, high achieving daughter and 2 younger sons that definitely don't jump through the hoops the oldest would, but are clearly quite sharp and precocious in my eyes. I watch those little boys with great interest. I think it's those covert gifties that sometimes can be the hardest to find a fit for.

Anyway, I actually don't disagree totally with the author of this article. But the article was poorly worded with regards to the gifted community. If you go into the comments section, the author ended up back pedaling a bit on some of his statements. I do agree with you that parents over and under estimate their kids all the time. I'm a solid under-estimator. Which is actually mostly ok since we're homeschooling and I'm not advocating in a regular classroom. I mostly keep them moving forward on basics and let them explore their interests.

I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    This thread came back to me too as I was reading Dweck's Mindset:
    Originally Posted by Dweck
    As children, we were given a choice between the talented but erratic hare and the plodding but steady tortoise. The lesson was supposed to be that slow and steady wins the race. But, really, did any of us ever want to be the tortoise?
    No, we just wanted to be a less foolish hare...The problem was that these stories made it into an either-or. Either you have ability or you expend effort. And this is part of the fixed mindset.
    Also, while parents may not always get it right...
    In general, parents are accurate observers of their children�s exceptionality with regard to giftedness. (Jacobs, 1971; McGuffog, Feiring, & Lewis, 1990; Robinson, 1981)
    http://www.geniusdenied.com/Articles.aspx?ArticleID=40&NavID=0_0

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader